Pubmed journal name abbreviations should be exported along with full names into RIS.

Hi

Is there any way to export both journal full names and the Pubmed abbreviated names into the exported IRS file? I mean the EndNote's "journal term list" includes 3 columns for abbreviated journal names as well as one for the full name. So if both name formats could be exported to RIS simultaneously in a way that it could be imported in the right places in the EndNote's journal term list, I could happily and thankfully switch between them while needing to switch between Vancouver and Harvard bibliography formats (or the compatible formats) with EndNote.

The right places for the exported formats are: the journal full name should be placed in the "Full Journal" column of the EndNote's journal term list, and the PubMed abbreviation should be placed in the "Abbreviation 2" column of the EndNote's journal term list.

Also I would be so much grateful if there is a workaround to customize this. Should (or can) I change the Zotero settings? or the RIS file must be edited? or whatever else? Or if it is embedded in Zotero in the first place?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Vahid
  • That would seem to be a problem on endnote's side:
    Zotero does export the journal abbreviation and puts it into the 'JA' field of the RIS file, which is correct according to RIS-spect. I believe it's possible to adjust Endnote import filters?
  • Thanks a lot Adam.

Yes the problem is as far as I know and could dig in, EndNote does not have a field for Journal Abbreviation. It has only a "Journal" field. Therefore even if both types of journal names are available in the RIS file, EndNote will pick only one. If the abbreviation is available, it will overwrite the full journal title with the abbreviation, otherwise the full title would be inputted.

I think I can handle it by creating two similar filters, one for parsing the journal field data from the JT tag, and another for parsing the JA for the same field, and use one library for Vancouver-style journals and the other one for Harvard-style ones (though extremely time consuming).

AFAK there is no way to import the abbreviated journal name from RIS into the EndNote's "journal term list", but only into one of its predefined fields (which seems to be useless. I see its fields cannot be edited, added, or duplicated).

I would be so grateful if somebody can confirm / deny my last paragraph, although it is more about EndNote than Zotero.

Thanks a lot.