Spanish translation problem in "number of edition" field

Hi,

I'm using Zotero 2.1.1 in Spanish, and Firefox 4.0 in Spanish, with OpenOffice 3.2.0 in Spanish, in both, Windows XP in Spanish and Windows 7 in English.
Using Chicago Manual of Style (Full note with bibliography).
The "translator" fields it's OK in Spanish (says "traducido por...") but in the number of edition field it's wrong, appears in English ("4th. ed." for example) and not "4º ed." in Spanish, as it was in the previous version.

David
  • I see that ordinals in Spanish are gender-sensitive, and the processor can apply an ordinal suffix appropriate to the gender. If "edition" is masculine, are the locale terms applied to "issue" and "volume" (which could also potentially take an ordinal suffix) feminine or masculine?
  • oh, the locale file has lots missing - I'm sure we can get one of the many spanish native speakers to fill in the remaining translations.
    For what its worth volumen (el volumen) and issue (el número) are masculine, whereas edition (la edición) is feminine - and indeed the ordinal number should be in gender accordance
    i.e. '4a ed.' and '4o volumen' - that's at least one common way to abbreviate them, not sure if David had something else in mind.
  • edited March 30, 2011
    Hold that thought. The gender-sensitivity code implemented in the processor has not yet been adopted in the CSL specification. We'll have to have a think about how to proceed -- to wait for revision of the specification, to push for early adoption, or to implement a variance pending approval.
  • The previous version of Zotero and Firefox worked well in the "edition" field in Spanish. In my experience, no problem with gender was in that previous version...
  • how did it do that? just 3o for everything?
  • Another information probably will be helpful: the same problem with "edition" field in Spanish ("ordinal") is in MS Word and OpenOffice (with Zotero 2.1.1 and Firefox 4.0). Other fields are working well in Spanish, but not "edition". I don't use the "volume" field...
  • We can revisit this at a later time, after gender-sensitivity becomes legal (I love the punning possibilities in this issue...). For the time being, I've checked in "o" as a uniform ordinal suffix for es-ES, which should solve the immediate problem.
  • OK fbennet, thanks. I'm a "user"... what I have to do...?
  • wait for the next upgrade (or potentially the one after that).