Zotero 2.1.1 doesn't open in Firefox 4.0 (or 3.6) on Windows XP

I have been experiencing this error for some time and would be grateful for a solution.

Error (from error console):
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: moveToUnique :: line 1327" data: no]

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js

Line: 464

Besides not opening (Zotero symbol with a yellow triangle symbol), Zotero also cannot sync with the Zotero server (login and password are correct).

All other extensions are disabled.
  • Try temporarily disabling any security/anti-virus software you're running. Something is interfering with the automatic backup that Zotero performs in the Zotero data directory at startup.
    Besides not opening (Zotero symbol with a yellow triangle symbol), Zotero also cannot sync with the Zotero server (login and password are correct).
    Not sure what you mean by this. If Zotero can't open, it can't do anything.
  • I disabled anti-virus and firewall protection (alternatingly), closed and opened Firefox, and Zotero still didn't open.

Then I uninstalled Zotero and re-started Firefox. I deleted my Zotero profile information in Firefox. Then I re-installed Zotero. Still no change--Zotero won't open, has yellow triangle in front of symbol on bottom right of browser window.
  • By "Zotero profile information" do you mean your Zotero data directory? As in, you had Zotero create a whole new data directory and it still occurred?

You should also try disabling all your other Firefox extensions, though that's less likely to help.

Is your data directory on a regular hard drive or a network share?
  • I meant Zotero library, apologies: http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library.

Yes, the Firefox directory regenerated, and Zotero still wouldn't open.

I disabled all other Firefox extensions and found that the problem persisted.

The library is on a regular hard drive. The "laptop" Zotero doesn't work on is an Asus eeepc, it works just fine on my other laptop.
  • If it can't create a new data directory, there's definitely something wrong with your system. Security software, anti-virus, disk corruption, file permissions—I can't really tell you what, I'm afraid, but no one else has reported this problem.
  • It did create a new data directory (appparently), but can't load data, because Zotero can't open in Firefox.
  • It can't operate on some of the newly created files in the directory. Same thing.
  • edited April 1, 2011
    Good news! Zotero is now loading. Cause: unknown.