New Item Bypasses TITLE and AUTHOR, Skips to ABSTRACT from ITEM TYPE

Ver 2.1.1

I want to add new items manually using the keyboard.

The sequence CTRL-ALT-N, b, b, b, ENTER, TAB sets up a new book entry, but skips directly from the ITEM TYPE field to the ABSTRACT field instead of proceeding to the TITLE field.

That's annoying!

What end user controls, if any, are available for tabbed field order once the right hand pane is active?

Thx,

Mark
  • I don't think the order is customizable, but this certainly is not right - it works/worked correctly in Zotero 2.0.9 (i.e. going to the title field) so it shouldn't be so hard to get it back in 2.1.1 [caveat: I haven't actually confirmed this for 2.1.1]
  • Confirmed in ML Zotero 2.1. Not sure about vanilla Zotero 2.1.1, but you're right that this shouldn't be the case.
  • Thanks for responding so quickly! Best, Mark
  • Under Ubuntu Linux w/Firefox 3.6.12, the TAB takes me to the Title field, in both Zotero 2.1.1 and in ML Zotero 2.1m8754. Possibly the behavior is browser-version dependent?
  • Maybe. I'm in Firefox 4.
  • Windows XP SP3, Firefox 4 here. Mark
  • For completeness:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:2.0b13pre) Gecko/20110322 Firefox/4.0b13pre
    Zotero 2.1m8734 (apparently old version-- I'll go update it now)
  • Can confirm that I get the jump to Abstract in FF4, on the same system that works correctly under FF 3.6. This seems definitely to be affected by the browser version.
  • I've patched the (experimental) multilingual version of Zotero to remedy this. It's a simple fix, and should work on the trunk as well.
  • fbennett: With your patch, the title field was still skipped for me. In any case, that patch was just hiding the underlying problem, which was that some of the index-tracking XBL fields were incorrectly set as read-only, which didn't cause a problem in Fx3.6 because, as the Mozilla docs say, "The readonly attribute did not work correctly on fields until Gecko 2.0."

This should now be fixed on the trunk and branch, along with a related issue that would cause items list focus to be lost when navigating with the arrow keys after shift-tabbing back from the item pane.
  • edited March 28, 2011
    Excellent! (And not surprised to have my ignorance of Mozilla's internals revealed; I should be more circumspect.)

(Edit: Ha. And testing Dan's version, I see that I completely missed that the cursor should land in the Title field. The fact that it hit something above Abstract apparently satisfied me just fine. What is that saying? "When you need to move quickly, slow down.")