Latin but Non English Character in Bibliography

I am using an article, in which the author use Latin but non English symbols for his last name.

When i manually extract from Zotero (APA 6) so you will see how it should look.
Häversjö, T. (2000). The financial effects of ISO 9000 registration for Danish companies. Managerial Auditing Journal, 15(1/2), 47-52. doi:10.1108/02686900010304632

But in Automatic Bibliography which i inserted in Word with Zotero Plugin:
H#versj#, T. (2000). The financial effects of ISO 9000 registration for Danish companies. Managerial Auditing Journal, 15(1/2), 47-52. doi:10.1108/02686900010304632

Please notice, I used # symbols manually, when i tried copy paste to here, the problem vanished, so i replaced ä and ö with # so you will know where is the problem.

Unfortunately i cannot add Word file to this message.

Zotero 2.1.1 with the latest Word Plugin
Office 2007
Windows XP SP3
  • What appears in the position of the hash characters instead of ä and ö (which would presumably be correct?)?
  • it's a rectangle ▯
    H▯versj▯
  • Have you tried selecting that region of text in the Word document and changing the font? (The rectangle is used by Word to stand for characters for which it has no glyph in the current font.)
  • Word can display those fonts.
    I cited this author and did manual copy-paste and then added date with Zotero.
    The symbols above a and e came perfect in manual copy-paste so i was surprised when it didn't happened in automatic bibliography creation.
    Also i did export of citation from Zotero in Firefox (clip board) and then copy-paste to Word and it came fine.
  • edited March 25, 2011
    Word can display those fonts.
    That's my point, actually. If pasting text with the boxes to the website caused the characters to render correctly, that suggests that the character codes delivered by Zotero are correct. If they are not being rendered correctly at that location, it suggests that the specific font applied to them does not have those glyphs. Are you certain that the font shown in the toolbar when you place the cursor at one of the box characters is the same as the font shown in the toolbar when you place the cursor at one of the correctly rendered characters?

My reason for pressing on this is that I have had similar problems with Japanese text, where some fonts are missing the mapping for a few Chinese characters. The effect in that case was the same, and the characters come through correctly if the area is selected and a more complete font is applied. This may be some other issue in the word processor, but as this is the most likely cause, it's worth double-checking just to be sure.