Author style problem

Hi all,

I have a problem. My ref:

São Paulo (Estado). Atlas das unidades de conservação ambiental do estado de São Paulo. São Paulo: Secretaria do Meio Ambiente, 2000.

With author field "São Paulo (Estado)", show in one field, don't show upper case in citation and bibliography. It is showed that:

(São Paulo (Estado), 2000)

But my confs is to show in upper case. (part above)

What maybe happening?

Hugs,

Mario

<macro name="author">
<names variable="author">
<name name-as-sort-order="all" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter="; " delimiter-precedes-last="always">
<name-part name="family" text-case="uppercase" />
<name-part name="given" text-case="uppercase" />
</name>
<et-al prefix=" " font-style="italic"/>
<label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="uppercase"/>
<substitute>
<names variable="editor"/>
<names variable="translator"/>
<text macro="title"/>
</substitute>
</names>
</macro>

<macro name="author-short">
<names variable="author">
<name form="short" name-as-sort-order="all" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter="; " delimiter-precedes-last="always">
<name-part name="family" text-case="uppercase" />
<name-part name="given" text-case="uppercase" />
</name>
<et-al prefix=" " font-style="italic"/>
<substitute>
<names variable="editor"/>
<names variable="translator"/>
<choose>
<if type="book">
<text variable="title" form="short" />
</if>
<else>
<text variable="title" form="short" quotes="true"/>
</else>
</choose>
</substitute>
</names>
</macro>
  • The choose block inside the substitute element is not valid CSL, and is likely to break things.
  • edited March 25, 2011
    I can confirm that and it looks like a bug to me. Just to clarify, these two citations are done with the same style

1. HELLMAN, JOEL S. 1998. “Winners Take All: The Politics of Partial Reform in Postcommunist Transitions.” World Politics 50(2): 203-234.

2. World Bank. 2002. World Development Report 2002: Building Institutions for Markets. Washington D.C: The World Bank Group.

but #2 has a single field author. I couldn't find a way to capitalize it.

edit: and I tried this with a clean style, just adding the two name-part lines, so it's not because of the
  • Yep, confirmed. It's the special handling of institutional authors come 'round again. It's a fairly simple fix, and I should have something out real soon now.
  • fbennett: Note that 2.1.1 doesn't contain the version of citeproc-js with the institutional authors fix (because it was causing a crash), so you might have fixed this already.
  • This was a separate wrinkle, but a newly minted citeproc-js nickel will be up shortly.
  • Hi fbennettt,

after update zotero to 2.1.2, the institutional name show in upper case. Thanks :D

Now, my institutional name show that way, when I have two names:

(SOS MATA ATLÂNTICA e INPE, 2009)

Delimiter in my csl is ";" and don't "e". Other references in text is correct, like that:

(BROKAW; SCHEINER, 1989)

My citation fragment:

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min="3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1"
    disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true"
    collapse="year">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group>
    <text suffix = ", " macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="issued-year"/>
    <text prefix =", " macro="citation-locator"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>

I can't find how to fix that.

Ps.: I update some things in ABNT-ufpr.csl that are in zotero site to be correct in ABNT independent of Institutional. How can I send for you to redistribution on site?

Hugs,

Mario
  • The processor forces the final institution to be joined with "and" (in the local language). I can see that this is undesireable and confusing; I'll modify the processor to use a the same delimiter used to join personal authors.

On capitalization, institutional authors are given the same treatment as surnames, which is why both are coming through in all capitals in your style. The proper fix is to allow institutions to be formatted separately, but that must await an upgrade to the CSL language itself -- the processor can control the formatting separately, but a style that does so would not be valid CSL, and cannot be distributed via the CSL repository.

As a workaround in the meantime, you should be able to use two-field input mode for the institutions in your example, and put the institution names in the firstname field. That will also fix the issue you're having with the use of "e" to join the last author in this example.
  • Others will give you advice on how to submit style updates to the repository.
  • See http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/submitting_citation_styles for information on style submission, specifically the bit about gist.github.com.