Retrieve metadata from webpage PDFs

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I am finding it difficult to create items from PDF files on the web.

when i go to a webpage that contains a pdf file (eg http://dev.biologists.org/content/22/3/349.full.pdf) I cant find any easy way to add it to zotero in a format that allows the 'retrieve metadata for PDF' option.

If I drag the favicon to zotero, the item is added but it becomes a 'web page' item and the retrieve metadata option is unavailable.

If I try the 'Create new item from webpage' button the same thing happens.

If I use the green + icon to create a new item and then attach the page as a snapshot there is still no retrieve metadata option.

If I save the PDF file to my desktop and then drag it into zotero from there - then it shows up as a file and I am able to retrieve the metadata.

Interestingly if I drag the favicon onto some other item in my zotero library it is added as an attachment. If I then drag this new attachment out from its parent it becomes a standalone file which DOES then have the retrieve metadata option available.

Is this how zotero is meant to function? What is the best way to go straight from a webpage PDF to a 'retrieve metadata' friendly zotero item?
  • If I drag the favicon to zotero, the item is added but it becomes a 'web page' item and the retrieve metadata option is unavailable.

If I try the 'Create new item from webpage' button the same thing happens.
    Both of these should work to give you an un-attached pdf that you can then retrieve metadata for.
    Which Zotero, FF, and pdf plugin are you using?
  • i thought maybe something was not right.

I am using zotero 2.1.1, firefox 4.0 and pdf 3.02
  • edited March 24, 2011
    sorry wasn't clear - which plugin to view pdfs in Firefox? adobe? pdfxchange? (you might recognize this or you might have to find this in your FF plugin settings.
    Also, which OS?
  • the OS is windows XP.
    my PDF plugin is PDF-Xchange viewer 2.5.193.0
    I tried uninstalling that and switching to adobe reader (v8) but the same issue occured.
  • OK - someone else has to take it from here - I don't know what's going on and I don't have the right system to test this.