After updating to 2.11 Zotero cannot use EndNote styles

Everything was perfect until I updated to 2.11. Suddenly, the Endnote style for Journal of Marketing does not work. After "upgrading" the Word document it gives me errors - "this.style is undefined". I cannot use the Journal of Marketing Style in the repository because it is WRONG. No other style in the repository is close to Journal of Marketing.

So, now I am stuck in the middle of my paper. Cannot move forward because the style which worked does not any more, and the style that works is wrong.

So frustrating!!!!
  • Endnote styles are no loner supported - not least because of the legal trouble that entailed (and because using Endnote styles in Zotero likely puts you in violation of their - i.e. Endnote's - EULA)
    Anyway - what's wrong with the style on the repository?
  • References are fine, but citations in the text include first and last author names. For example, if you cite single source with two authors it will appear in the text as (first_name last_name and first_name last_name year). It should be (last_name and last_name year).
    The et al. seems to work fine.

Thanks for your response! I did not know about the legal issues with EndNote. Please create a style editor. I am much more willing to pay for it than for storage :-)
  • edited March 23, 2011
    Or you can send adamsmith money and he can be your style editor. Although he usually does it for free anyway. So much for basic econ.
  • as the great Adam Smith said:
    How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it.
  • Thanks for the link to a CSL editor. Much appreciated!
  • That said, the first name issue looks like this
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/given_name_disambiguation
    are you sure that's not the case? Try a single citation in an empty document.
    It's now possible to be less drastic about disambiguation - if you can find out the precise rules the JoM wants to follow I can code that quickly.
  • Adam, you are right:
    1) Single citations work in an empty document,
    2) I think it is the case of disambiguation; I will verify the first names of all authors

and finally, the quote above is a nice definition of altruism. I am glad you are helping us here!

p.s. The Journal of Marketing reference style can be found on this page in a pdf file. http://www.marketingpower.com/AboutAMA/Pages/AMA%20Publications/AMA%20Journals/Journal%20of%20Marketing/JMAccepted.aspx#3
  • yes, but that style guide has nothing to say about how to disambiguate authors with the same last name - you'd be surprised at the range of possibilities!
    The main ones (at least the ones Zotero can (now) do) are here
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#disambiguation
    scorlling down a little.