Word 'freezes' when trying to insert citation

I looked for help with this on the forum but was unable to find it. Here are the essentials: I am running Zotero 2.0.9 on Firefox 3.6.15 on my MacBook (Mac OS X 10.5.8). I have the Word plug-in 3.0b7 installed as well as the PythonExt 2.6.2.20100203. I use Word 2004.

Here is the problem: about a week ago I upgraded to Firefox 4.0 (beta) without realizing that Zotero 2.0 doesn't run on this. When I read about Zotero 2.1 beta, I realized I'd better go back to Firefox 3. 6 because 1) I'm in the last year of my PhD and can't afford to risk loss of my Zotero references; and 2) I can't install the PythonExt required for Zotero 2.1 since I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard. Therefore, I uninstalled Firefox 4.0 and uninstalled Zotero (following the directions on the Zotero.org site) - backed up the library, got rid of all components, deleted zotero.dot, etc. Then I reinstalled Firefox 3.6 and Zotero 2.0 (see 1st paragraph) and synched my library and restored all my citations in Zotero. I thought all was fine - until this morning, when I tried inserting a citation in a Word document and Word stopped responding. I restarted Word - same thing. I restarted the computer - no better. I uninstalled Zotero again (whole process), hoping I had missed something the first time - but I still can't insert a citation. Word stops responding completely.

I have a vague fear that this has something to do with having installed Firefox 4.0 and then downgrading to 3.6 but if other advice in the forum is any guide, I will be told this is a problem with Word. Let me say this, though - until now, I'd had no problems with Word or with Zotero and I've been using 2.0 practically since it came out.

I would really, really appreciate some advice on this. I'm stumped but I need to get moving on my thesis. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
  • Just to clarify, this happens in a new document? If so, what happens if you try to add a citation while Firefox isn't running?
  • Hi Simon - This happens whether it's a new document or a document in which I already have extensive Zotero citations and bibliography. The same thing happens whether Firefox is running or not.
  • Close Firefox, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and type the following

sudo rm /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*
    then press return, and enter your password when prompted.
  • Wow! It works now! Thank you very, very much.
  • Thanks Simon, this worked for me as well. I had a similar issue, but would have described it this way:
    I did not do any firefox-3.? to 4.0 to 3.6 upgrading+downgrading.

Initially I installed zotero mac-word integration, then the python-ext. Perhaps this was the source of the error. I have the same version of mac OSX, and am running firefox 3.6, but am using Word 2008.

What ended up happening:
    I could insert one citation into a file with a bibliography, but on the second one, firefox would hang (word continued to work, but did not have any text where I had tried to insert the citation). This issue pretty much occurred anytime I clicked on a zotero applescript action the SECOND (or sometimes third) time.

I tried the command above first without closing firefox. This hung firefox (for obvious reasons I'm sure). Then I read your post again, and saw that you said to close Firefox first. I did so, issued the command, and voila! I can now place as many citations in my word files as I like.

Thanks so much!
  • Hello Simon!
    I seem to be having the same problem with Zotero and Word, but when I enter "sudo rm /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*" into the terminal, it says:
    "rm: /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*: No such file or directory"
    Do you know what the problem could be?
    Thank you very much!
  • What versions of Zotero and Zotero MacWord Integration do you have installed in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions?
  • Hi Simon - I have the Zotero version 2.1.2 installed on my computer and Zotero Word plug-in 1.0b3.
    Until a couple of days ago things were working great, now Word freezes every time I want to insert a citation. Firefox is not affected by this.
    Thanks.
  • Upgrade to Zotero 2.1.5 from http://zotero.org/ and install the latest Word plug-in.
  • I have a new macbook pro, and upgraded Snow Leopard to Lion. I have installed Office 2011, and have installed Firefox and Zotero.
    When I access the Zotero menu in Word, Word freezes, and my solution now is to shut it down in "Force Quit". As a result, the document I was working in is protected.

I have uninstalled Zotero and the plugin, I have also reinstalled Office 2011, but the problem remains.

I have used Zotero for 2 years on a MBP that now is 5 years old, and am close to going back to that setup :-)
    please help me.
  • I have installed Zotero Standalone, and still get the error - Word 2011 freezes when I access the Zotero Menu and press one of the commands.
    I have a Danish Office 2011.
  • hj - start a new thread - this one is about an entirely different version and set-up of the Word plugin.
This discussion has been closed.