Word plugin won't let me edit citations; insists cursor not in citation

I have been using zotero - and loving it - for two years without any major incident but now have a critical problem.

When I try to edit an existing citation in Word I get a pop-up telling me that the cursor must be in a zotero citation to edit it. Yet the cursor most definitely is! I am using footnotes and placing the cursor within the grey field before clicking the zotero edit citation button as I always have.

I am using Word 2007 on Windows 7, Zotero 2.0.9, and Zotero Winword integration 3.0b1. I have reinstalled the Word plugin and the same problem occurs on a test document created since the reinstallation. The citations are stored as fields not bookmarks.

Any help most definitely appreciated: I am on the last chapter of the first draft of my PhD, all of which has been done with zotero, and this is a crippling problem for me!
  • If you can send the document to support@zot...org, we'll take a look and see if we can figure out why this is happening. For now, you can also delete and re-insert the citations instead of editing them, or try the steps under Debugging Broken Documents.
  • Thanks - done.

My panic has subsided as most of my citations are now fine, although I still have problematic ones (and have seen this error before, so it would be nice to get to the bottom of it).
  • I'm having the same problem which has only appeared since I upgraded to Firefox 4 and Zotero 2.1.6. I've also ensured I have the latest Word plugin, but no matter what I do, I cannot edit a citation once I've created it. I've tried this over a number of different documents and citations, just to be sure. Is this a bug with the new Firefox 4? Thanks!