Report ID: 1296378675 Sync problem

Hi,

I have recently imported a large number of items from a RIS txt file I exported from ProCite into My Library. While that import is problematic due to some mismatches, I think, between field mapping in ProCite and Zotero, I do need to sync my Zotero to my online account so I can get to it from my work computer to finish a project.

For a while after I imported the new materials (24+ hours), the little sync green arrow was spinning and spinning, and then finally I quit Firefox, restarted, and got a message that a sync was already running, to check the window that it was in, etc. Upon searching the forums, I found that the solution to that error was supposed to be to reboot the computer, which I did. Reopened Firefox, got several messages that a script had stopped running on the page, but I clicked "continue" and "don't show this message again" so it could finish. A few minutes later, I got the red exclamation point next to the sync arrow and the error that caused this Report ID.

I have been working with Zotero for more than two years, but the syncing seems to be something I just cannot get reliably to work -- and my students, who I also had working with Zotero last fall on class projects, have had the same problem. I am pretty frustrated with this.

Does the report ID give you any clue as to what is going on? I am not sure if this has to do with all of those new items I imported or if there is something else.

I am working on an iMac with OS X version 10.6.6.
  • There are no Zotero errors in there. What was the error?
  • And syncs pretty much never take more than a few minutes anymore, so there's no need to leave it running for 24 hours. You have an error message waiting for you on the server, and your client should have picked it up. If it didn't, restart Firefox and sync again.

A number of issues that could cause infinite spinning have been fixed in 2.1.
  • You do have a very large (11MB) upload, though, which depending on your connection speed could take a little while just to upload to the Zotero servers.
  • I don't understand the question about "no Zotero errors" -- the Report ID I received was 1296378675. Is that not the number you need?

Also, right now, after I closed and reopened Firefox, the sync started up again, but is spinning and has been for nearly 1 hr, saying "uploading data to sync servers" and that the last sync was 2 days ago, which is before I started working with this large amt of new data. I have a very fast connection, so I don't think that is the problem.
  • Error reports sometimes—due possibly to interactions with other extensions—don't include relevant errors. This is why the Reporting Bugs page advises restarting Firefox, triggering the error, and immediately generating a Report ID.

Unless you're using a network monitor or watching the Zotero debug output, you have no way of knowing whether your data has uploaded to Zotero. Even the fastest connections can have very slow upload speeds.
  • I see nothing queued for you right now, by the way.
  • Ok, if another error is generated, I'll generate another Report ID and submit it. Right now the arrow is still spinning away, still "uploading data to sync server," though if you don't see anything on your end, that makes me wonder if anything is really happening.

I'm not watching the debug output; as for speeds, if I run speedtest.net's check, I get a 1.45 Mbps upload speed (vs about 16 Mbps down).
  • edited March 10, 2011
    OK, 1.45Mbps is pretty fast. It certainly should have uploaded 11MB by now at that speed.

Your upload size may not allow for a Debug ID, but, since you're on a Mac, I'd recommend at least turning on real-time debug output and watching the upload. You should see a reference to /upload and then, if it's working, something a short while after that.
  • Ok, I will try that over the weekend. Thank you!
  • I haven't tried the Debug ID process yet, but did want to report that after being left all night to sync, Zotero generated an error that locked up Firefox and said something about an "empty response" (I can't get the error message exactly again because Firefox is locked up). The error report # was 479665548.
  • If Firefox locked up, how did you get an error message?
  • Dan, Firefox gave me the error message, which I noted and then closed. And when I went back to Firefox then to see if I could see it again (to get the exact wording), Firefox was totally locked up and would not respond to anything.
  • It's more likely that it was just performing a large sync and you interrupted it.
  • Well, maybe—there's actually no record of recent syncs from you from this account. But you can tell easily enough by disabling auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero prefs, which you can access without opening Zotero by going to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions.