Error creating file with long filename due to filesystem encryption - ID 304546143

I'm using Zotero 2.0.9 with Firefox 3.6.14 on Ubuntu 10.10. Everything worked fine :-) but then I moved Firefox and Zotero to a new computer with an encrypted home directory. I copied the whole Zotero folder from the old machine to the new one, and that worked fine, as well. But when syncing I now get an error. There seems to be a problem with one particular file, but deleting the entry in Zotero and/or the file on my computer doesn't solve the problem. Here's the error message:

[JavaScript Error: "labelGetUbuntu is null" {file: "chrome://ubufox/content/overlay.js" line: 82}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error creating file 'Possible Difficulties in the Interpretation of Simulation Outcomes- Cybernetic loop complex systems and simulation in businees and in general.pdf'

Check whether you are using a filesystem encryption such as eCryptfs that results in a filename length limit below 255 bytes." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 972}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Die Datei 'E69W8UPS/Possible Difficulties in the Interpretation of Simulation Outcomes- Cybernetic loop complex systems and simulation in businees and in general.pdf' konnte nicht im Zotero-Ablageverzeichnis angelegt werden.' when calling method: [nsIWebProgressListener::onStateChange]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

How can I delete or rename this file, so that syncing works again?

Thank you very much in advance, Stefan
  • edited March 10, 2011
    If possible, rename it on your other computer (or any other computer), relink it in Zotero if necessary, and resync, and then resync this computer.
  • Okay, I've installed Zotero on another computer and loaded all the data from the server. No error message here. Unfortenately, there is no entry in my library or one of the group libraries with this particular file. So I cannot rename it. However, I've located the pdf-file on the local hard disk of the "new" computer, deleted it and did a normal sync. But my main computer still tries to download it from the server. I think the entry regarding this file was part of one of the group libraries and got deleted some weeks ago. It is not needed anymore. How can I get rid of it?
  • If it's syncing to one computer, it should sync to the other computer. The item still exists on the server. The parent item has a modified date of '2010-07-07 14:22:58', if that helps you find it.
  • Yes, that helped! With the time stamp I found the parent item, renamed the entry on the "new" computer, and synced both computers. Error is gone :-) Thank you very much!