Style request: Agriculture, Ecosystems,& Environment

I would like to request a style for Agriculture, Ecosystems, & Environment.
Similar to: Ecology
Differences:

In-text citations
1. Comma after author(s), e.g. "(Doe et al., 2011)"
2. Entries separated with a semicolon (;), e.g. "(Doe et al., 2011; Smith et al., 2011)"

Bibliography
Journal articles:
1. No "and" for multiple authors, e.g. "Doe, A.B., Smith, C.D., 2011. ..."
2. No period before year, e.g. "Doe, A.B., Smith, C.D., 2011. ..."
3. Surname first, e.g. "Doe, A.B., Smith, C.D., 2011. ..."
4. Journal name abbreviated, e.g. "... 2011. J. Arid. Environ."
5. Comma after volume, e.g. "... 2011. J. Arid. Environ. 56, 39-46"
6. No DOI

Books:
4. Number of edition spelled out and edition abbreviated, e.g. "Strunk Jr., W., White, E.B., 1979. The Elements of Style, third ed. Macmillan, New York"

Edited books:
4. Pages indicated at very end with "pp.", e.g. "Mettam, G.R., Adams, L.B., 1999. How to prepare an electronic version of your article, in: Jones, B.S., Smith , R.Z. (Eds.), Introduction to the Electronic Age. E-Publishing Inc., New York, pp. 281–304."
5. Comma after title, see above example
6. "in" not italicized, replaced with "in:", see above example
7. "editors" replaced with "(Eds.)", see above example
8. Comma after "(Eds.)" and before title

Style guide found at:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/503298/authorinstructions

Sample issue (hopefully open access):
http://goo.gl/dNpZK

Thank you!
  • sorry, it's bookmarked, but things are busy, it might take a little longer, but I'm getting there.
  • Any luck?
  • @ballred: I'm starting to work on this. To help move things forward, it would be good if you could fill out the details in their guidelines to cover conference proceedings, theses, and any special formatting needed for newspapers. If that's too much trouble, no worries: I'll must guess. :)
  • hmm... it isn't listed in their style guide, your guess is as good as mine. As long as it follows the general format of the others (journal articles, books, etc.) it should be fine (I hope). Thanks for the help.
  • Okay, give this a try. It does their examples correctly, at least, with one small discrepancy (the placement of "Jr."), which is a processor issue, unrelated to the style. (It's not clear whether to me whether the processor treatment (placing "Jr." after the initials) or their example is more natural, so I won't look into that one further until someone complains.)

https://gist.github.com/956321
  • Thank you very much. I found two additional discrepancies, both within the bibliography:

Journal names should be abbreviated.
    DOI should not be present.
  • edited May 5, 2011
    I've removed DOI and repasted to the link above.

You should be getting abbreviated journal names already, if there is a value in the "Journal Abbrev." field. Does that not work?

(Edit: With DOI removed, you will start seeing URLs wherever they are available. If this should be removed as well, let me know.)
  • Yes, URLs should be removed.

The abbreviated journal names appear; I just had an overwhelming number of references with missing "Journal Abbrev." fields.

Thanks for all the help.
  • URLs are gone now. Okay to check this one into the repository?
  • Everything looks good. Thank you for all the help.
  • Hello, I have been trying to validate the code posted by fbennet for Agriculture Ecosystem and Environment on validator.nu. It seems there are problems with the code at the line 12. I would like to thank a lot for the help and collaboration
  • ignore that validation error - the "update" date (which is in line 12) will be automatically added when the style is posted on the repository. Which, I think, there is no reason not to, right?
  • ok, this is up now.
  • After looking at it briefly I think this is the exact same style for the journal Agricultural and Forest Meteorology (style guide: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/503295/authorinstructions#68000). This is also an Elsevier journal so perhaps not so surprising.

Regardless, AFM does not exist in the Style Repository, but perhaps it could be added as a dependent style? I will be working with it closely over the next few weeks so I will keep my eye out for any differences that arise.

Thanks for this style.
  • actually this looks like both styles are just "Elsevier's Harvard" (which is already on the repository). I'll put up a a dependent style for AFM and AEE asap and take down the independent AEE style. Thanks for pointing this out.