Can't sync on OSX (Report ID 2010614287)

I haven't been able to sync my Macbook since the end of January (I didn't realize until more recently). I can sync from my windows machine at work just fine, but I can't sync my mac at work or at home. I have restarted the computer, reinstalled Zotero, disabled all other firefox extensions, and it is still happening. I don't really mind the prospect of wiping and doing a fresh sync from the server, but are there any major risks associated with that? And will that solve the problem?

I'm using:
Zotero 2.0.9
Firefox 3.6.13
OSX 10.6.6

I would prefer not to upgrade to FF4 and Zotero 2.1 until they're out of beta and I can be sure my other extensions are compatible.

Here is the error:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid integer value 'NULL' [QUERY: UPDATE itemAttachments SET sourceItemID=?, linkMode=?, mimeType=?, charsetID=?, path=?, syncState=? WHERE itemID=?]' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "Invalid integer value 'NULL' [QUERY: UPDATE itemAttachments SET sourceItemID=?, linkMode=?, mimeType=?, charsetID=?, path=?, syncState=? WHERE itemID=?]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 872}]

Thanks
Keith
  • edited March 11, 2011
    So I tried a couple of additional things to see what the problem was, and can provide more information about it..... Apparently my last sync was 1/24/2011

I tried twice and generated two error reports:

The error is the same as the one in the OP, and the debug output ends with:

[unrelated output removed — D.S.]

Leading up to this was a series of Binding operations for creators 1-1965
  • edited March 11, 2011
    Oops... and the second report is # 660750366 .

The debug output for this one was identical to above, but the above text was followed by:

[unrelated output removed — D.S.]

NOTE: I restarted firefox and tried again and got this same output (with the itemData binding things...) Not sure why they didn't show up the first time.
  • Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error. Don't copy and paste debug output.
  • Oops sorry. Debug ID D1690396548
  • That's a strange error. Does this still happen if you disable all your other Firefox extensions?
  • Yes sync still fails when I disable all my extensions. Here's the debug ID for that case: D1415439120
  • Could you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and send the Upload ID to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread? You can ignore the download link the tool provides. Don't post your Upload ID publicly.
  • So there are some invalid values in the itemAttachments table in your database. Given that no one else has reported this and I can't figure out any way it could have occurred, I think you may have done this to your own database (either via ZoteRename or something else gone wrong). You can fix it with the following SQL:

UPDATE itemAttachments SET charsetID=NULL WHERE charsetID='NULL';
    I'll also update the DB Repair Tool to fix it, but we don't have any indication that anyone else is experiencing it.
  • Success! thanks for looking into that. Seeing that it came down to charsetID, I bet it is related to problems I was having some time back with ZoteRename and unicode titles/filenames. I'll have to look into that. Sorry for making extra work for you. Really appreciate all your help. Is there a Zotero tip jar anywhere?