Info fields for item taken from PDF attachment's metadata

I have an item for which one PDF was attached - the manuscript (draft). Now that paper has been published, and I attached the PDF of the published paper to the Zotero item as well. How can I make the fields in the Info tab (Title, Abstract, Publication, Year etc) automatically be filled in based on the metadata contained in this second PDF attachment (the published one)? As far as I can see, right-clicking on this attachment only allows you to rename the PDF file itself according to its metadata, rather than also allowing naming of the Zotero item that this PDF is an attachment to.

Thanks for any help!
  • you can't.
    You can try dragging the pdf away from the parent item so that it's a top-level item and then right-click retrieve pdf metadata, though I wouldn't bet on that working for a recently published paper (the information is taken from the web, not from the file).

But more broadly speaking there is no way currently to update or complete metadata automatically. That's likely to happen at some point, though.
  • Thanks very much Adam, I always appreciate your prompt reply. Should I move this to Feature Requests, or is this already being considered for implementation in a future version?
  • no need for a feature request - various forms of this have been requested a bunch of times already.