Zotero 2Beta Bibliography Uses ??? Instead of ---

I'm using the latest (as of Feb. 26) Zotero 2 Beta files for Firefox and OpenOffice/LibreOffice. I'm working in Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 2 on AMD64.

Zotero works great, first off.

But on inserting the Bibliography (Chicago Style Guide) repeat entries that normally would replace the author's name with dashes are rendered by 3 question marks.

For example:

Plato. “Apology.” In Plato Complete Works, edited by John M. Cooper and D. S. Hutchinson, translated by G.M.A. Grube, 17-36. Hackett Pub Co Inc, 1997.
???. “Phaedo.” In Plato Complete Works, edited by John M. Cooper and D. S. Hutchinson, translated by G.M.A. Grube, 49-100. Hackett Pub Co Inc, 1997.
  • If I remember correctly, OOo does this at times importing characters it does not recognize. I'm not sure how to modify this.
  • edited February 26, 2011
    I've looked into this, and it appears that the RTF converter in the processor is not escaping em-dash characters. It should be simple to fix; Chinese characters are correctly rendered, so it looks to be just be a matter of extending the scope of the escaping mechanism to cover the Unicode em-dash character as well.

When I get a fix in place, I'll issue a fresh release of the processor, and this problem should go away in a subsequent release.

(Edit: Slight correction: the escaping mechanism is correct, but the processor was not applying it to that particular element of the output.)

(Edit: Done. A fix has been applied to the processor, checked in to the source repository, and noticed to the development team.)
  • Thanks! So it'll be fixed in the next beta?
  • Yep. Since this turned out to be completely a processor issue, it's just a matter of upgrading the version of citeproc-js that Zotero uses to generate citations and bibliographies. As you can tell from the processor version number (currently 1.0.117), we've been through a few revision cycles since this whole thing started, so that's a familiar tango.