Mangled symbols...

ajlyon writes:

"If you identify a catalog that gives mangled non-English data, open a new discussion for it. It's certainly an encoding issue, and we can fix it for that catalog."

I am not clear on what is meant by the word "catalog" above, but I mentioned back around January 17th, that I was encountering problems having to do with strange symbols. I still have the problem. It has to do with the apostrophe symbol. When I import a database entry into MSWord or OO, if the apostrophe is in an italicized part of the text, i.e., article title, I get a tiny bird instead of an apostrophe. Yes, a tiny bird, strange as it may seem. And if the apostrophe is in a non-italicized part of the text, I get a swirl. If I copy the entry to a standard text editor, the strange characters disappear, and I get an apostrophe.

This appeared about two or three Zotero versions back. If I were able to rpovide a sample of this, I'd copy it here, but as I say above, when I copy and try to paste it, the problem disappears.
  • Does the bird or swirl change to something else if you switch fonts?
  • I have not tried the fonts that are not suitable for academic publishing. I regularly use Palatino Linotype and, on occasion, Times New Roman, and the strange symbols are exactly the same. I have also tried a less well known font Gentium, and its variants, and while the apostrophe is correctly rendered, the actual letters are not even in the sense that a letter "o" may be taller than an "t" next to it.