Workflow for dealing with Preprints, Web-releases, eventual publication, etc.

I am interested to see how others are handling the following situation.

A paper might first come to my attention because a journal places it on their website for "early release". Eventually it is published.

I'd like to be able to simply refresh my papers and have the definitive meta-data be presented, but I have not found a workflow that does this. Right now I do this:

Capture the meta-data for the initial preprint
Capture the paper PDF
Attach PDF to meta-data

(wait)

Serendipitously, identify the definitive meta-data sometime later (with DOIs,could this be automatable?)

Capture the new meta-data, download the PDF (again), and then be back and hack each paper that uses that reference so reflect the new Zotero identifier for that (new) paper.

Does anyone have a suggestion or workflow for this sort of problem?

Ideally I'd like someway of this sort... I note that there's new meta-data for an entry. I bring up a data source with the new meta-data, and highlight the older-meta-data in the database. Capture the new data, drop the old meta-data. Keep attachments.

Even cooler, Zotero might notify and perhaps automate this manual process which involving considerable luck. It would do this by determining when meta-data has changed and updating the internal meta-data as needed.

Comments? This would be a large task for Zotero to take on, so workflow suggestions are welcome.

As always, kudos to Zotero!

P.S. It would be nice to be able to drag attachments from one record to another, but this seems to not work in 2.1b7.... not sure it ever worked.

P.P.S The text editor for this forum should know that "Zotero" is a word, and not highlight it as a spelling mistake.
  • I find manually changing the data preferable - i.e. once the paper is out of pre-print, I just look up the new data - volume and issue number and page numbers - that's usually it - and add it by hand, then manually attach the new pdf - if the journal website allows to open the pdf in a whole window, that's easily done using "attach snapshot of current page", otherwise it involves a couple of extra steps.
    The big advantage here is, of course, that you don't need to make sure to find and replace the paper in your word documents.
    It's definitely desirable to allow for some type of auto-complete/update of references, but that's going to be quite a while until we get there.

re P.S. that should work and has in the past
    re P.P.S your spellchecker is included in Firefox, not in the forum software - you can right-click on Zotero and add it to your dictionary through the context menu.