The system specifications for this question are:

• Firefox 3.6.13

• Zotero 2.0.9

• Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0b3

• Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0b1

• LibreOffice 3.3

• Word 2003

• Windows XP (SP3)
I have a DOC file that I have produced in Word and that has a number of Zotero citations in the Chicago Author-Date style. I would like to migrate this document to LibreOffice to continue working on it there, so I have chosen the "Bookmark" option under Zotero Preferences in the DOC file in Word.

When I open this DOC file in LibreOffice, I can go to Insert > Bookmark and see a number of "ZOTERO_BREF_*" entries. When I go to Zotero Document Preferences in LibreOffice, however, ReferenceMarks is chosen rather than Bookmarks, and the Zotero plugin will not recognize the existing citations in LibreOffice. To remedy this issue, I have tried:

• This also produces the error, "You must insert a citation before performing this operation." Refresh the document. This produces the error, "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."

• Set Zotero Preferences to Bookmarks and refresh the document. This appears to do nothing.

• Set Zotero Preferences to Bookmarks, refresh the document, set Zotero Preferences to ReferenceMarks, and refresh the document. This also produces the error, "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."

• Change citation styles and refresh the document. This appears to do nothing.

• Change citation styles, choose ReferenceMarks, and refresh the document. This also produces the error, "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."
Yet, the issue remains. I have also opened the DOC file in LibreOffice, immediately resaved the document in ODT format, tried each of these steps, and received the same results.

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have would be most welcome.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Hi, again, everyone.

I just updated to LibreOffice 3.3.1 earlier this morning, and this behavior seems to remain unaffected.

Any thoughts you might have for remedying this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again, so much!
  • I have the same problem with Firefox 4.0.1 , Libreoffice 3.3.2, Zotero 2.1.7 running on Ubuntu 11.04. Any suggestion?
  • Bookmarks should work in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration Trunk XPI, although you should heed the warnings on that page if you want to try it and install the next release of Zotero OpenOffice.org Integration when it is released.