I want to file sync-> WebDAV?? that works??

Hi,
The File Syncing page says there are free WebDAV services for file syncing, but Jungle Disk both charges and has multiple forum posts that appear like it's buggy and problematic. I have spent forever- and created accounts on both mydisk.se and box.net based in forum posts I now realize are antiquated- trying to get file syncing that works.

According to form posts that are years old (1) mydisk.se disabled access for Zotero (2) box.net simply won't work for various reasons. Is this still the case? Will either these- or any other service- allow me to use webDAV? I'd be happy to pay a few bucks a year for anything simple that will just work and keep me from using a flashdrive to use Zotero on multiple computers... Thanks!
  • from what I know yes, mydisk still doesn't allow Zotero. I don't know about box.net.
    People have been saying good things about icloud with Zotero -
    all that said, though:
    If paying a little money isn't an issue, what's wrong with Zotero file storage? It's more reliable and has more features than WebDAV _and_ you're supporting Zotero development. The way I understood this, WebDAV has always been the alternative for people for whom either hosting the files themselves or not paying anything at all was crucial - if you're going to pay anyway, why not Zotero?
  • My understanding is that WebDAV is the way to GET files onto the Zotero webspace? In other words, the mechanism it uses to syncs and transfer files with that storage area? Which is why I'm trying to figure out WebDAV- absolutely agree with the 'just pay Zotero' in theory-
  • no - WebDAV is the alternative to Zotero Storage
    http://www.zotero.org/support/storage
    if you subscribe to Zotero Storage you do not need WebDAV
  • Geesh would it be wonderfully simple if that turns out to be the answer!- what do I type in for the URL in sync preferences? Keep getting the error saying that I have it wrong- I have read the documentation till I'm blue in the face and I don't see that anywhere- ... just my Zotero username? thanks-
  • look at the image here
    http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/sync
    make sure the same boxes are checked - you won't need a URL then - Zotero know the address of its own file storage.
    The username and password are the same you're using for the forum and for the metadata sync, so you probably have them in there already.
  • edited February 15, 2011
    Do you have an old PC? One idea would be to set up a Ubuntu file server with WebDAV installed and then sync to OldPC as a backup.

Pro's - unlimited local storage ( 100 Gig in my case) , "Real Time" backing up, fast, free and shareable across local area network.
    Con's - Does not store attachments (Is this true?) and does not appear to work.

I got the Ubuntu box going with WebDav working - checked with other software but Zotero refuses to do anything.

Has anybody got a similar setup to work? Spare PC, Ubuntu (serve) and WebDav enabled and then sync?

The problem I ran into is that my zotero folders now weighs in at 4,258,541,568 bytes which contains 208,000 files and 2000 folders. Which would cost me 5 GB - $60 at least.
  • well - running a WebDAV server at home is certainly neat, but doesn't seem like the low-tech low-stress solution Devin is looking for.

The biggest drawback apart from the technical demands is that file-sharing is limited to your LAN - if that's enough for you this can certainly work - if you want to troubleshoot this, open a new thread.

(Attachments will be stored, but obviously you won't be able to access them from zotero.org (which you can with Zotero storage).

For back-up purposes I'd actually recommend running rssync with a cron job (there are a bunch of GUIs that will do that for you) to an external harddisk. )
  • To AdamSmith;
    Thank you - I will give this another go and try your suggestion.
  • You were of course right- I got syncing to work using just Zotero's file storage and nixing the WebDAV option. Thanks much!
  • Just backing up what adamsmith said.
    icloud offers a Free account with 3GB of online file storage accessible via WebDAV. Easy and simple to use.