group library

Dear Zotero support,

we have a group library and interestingly all group members can sync successfully apart from me (user ID: 275325, library ID: 227256, username: dlechner). My last successful sync was on 2/2/11 09:41:45.

One group member can sync her account at work but not at home (user ID: 286074, library ID: 235563, username: mholzmann.

I have this problem almost every other day.
What is going on?
What can I do against it?

any help would be very appreciated!
thanks!
  • I see no active syncs for you right now, but I see repeated full downloads of your library, including four times in the last 24 hours.

What happens when you try to sync?
  • The sync arrow was spinning the whole day yesterday,
    locale new entries are unvisible for all other group members (so not successfully synced),
    new entries of other members are unvisible for user dlechner.
  • edited February 4, 2011
    We can only debug one library at a time. All that matters is whether your client has finished syncing. If it has, the items will appear on the website. If it hasn't, they won't.

Is it spinning right now? If so, restart Firefox and sync again, and post here once you do.
  • Yes it was still spinning, and we have restarted Firefox now and started sync again now.

How to proceed now?
  • From what account? I see no sync activity from the account you're posting from.
  • Was everything you were saying about dlechner?
  • from this accout: user ID: 275325, library ID: 227256, username: dlechner
  • yes she is my collegue
  • It's currently processing. It should finish in a short while. In the meantime, enable debug output logging from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • ok we are logging now the debugging output.
    until now about 300 lines ....
  • how long shell we wait for successful syncing and sending logged debugging output to server?
  • The process just completed, with a 31MB download, and it appears to have been retrieved by your client, which should have processed the download. What happened on your end?

Assuming you don't see all the new data, first, disable (but don't clear) debug output in the Advanced pane of the preferences. Next, generate a Report ID.

Don't restart Firefox yet, since that will clear debug output, which we might need.
  • The sync arrow is still spinning.....

I have stopped the logging and tried to send report to server to generate a Report ID but have got the following message:
    "The server returned an error. Please try again."
    Also second time - the same.
    How to proceed?
  • edited February 4, 2011
    You got an error providing a Report ID, using Report Errors? I wasn't telling you to send in the debug output and provide a Debug ID.

If you're getting an error generating a Report ID, then in the error reporting wizard, copy the contents of the error report, paste it into a text file, zip the text file, and send it to support@zot....org with a link to this thread.
  • I tried to have a look at the debug report but Firefox crashed and was closed. Now I have restarted it and also the debug log.
    Will wait now for approx. 10 min and retry to send it.
  • Again, I'm not asking you send the debug output. I'm asking you log the debug output but then to provide a Report ID, using Report Errors in the gear icon menu.

You won't know when the process finished on the server, so you'll need to wait until I tell you.
  • I have generated error report (ID: 393126425) and have send the zipped text file to support email.
  • Your download is still processing. There's nothing to look at yet.

I will tell you when your download is complete.
  • And if you stopped the debug output already you should clear it and re-enable it.
  • It's now finished. Now you can stop the output and provide a Report ID—not a Debug ID.
  • report id 1812420622
  • Hello Dan,

do you already know anything about the reason of our sync problem?
  • Yes, but I was putting in place a mechanism that will cache very large identical downloads so that every try doesn't take 15 minutes. The next try won't be any quicker, but subsequent ones will be, until further changes are made to any of your associated libraries.

There was a helpful error in there, so you can clear the debug output.
    script stack space quota is exhausted
    Basically this means that the download is too big for Firefox to process given the current Zotero code. I've added a possible workaround for this to the latest 2.0 Branch dev XPI. Install that (which should be safe—it's almost identical to 2.0.9) over your current version of Zotero, restart, and try the sync again. Post here when you do.
  • I have installed the add-on, restarted Firefox and am currently syncing.
  • I have made the same in parallel just for testing and have got the following error report ID:

The sync arrow is spinning since one hour even if my database was actually.
  • ubauer: I don't understand what you're reporting, and there are no Zotero errors in there. But you have no active syncs.

dlechner's database is still being processed.
  • dlechner: Your download should have finished now. If the icon is still spinning, please provide another Report ID.
  • it is still syncing. :-(
    Report ID 1631510326
    I still cannot see entries from my colleagues from the last 2 days and the icon is still spinning. My colleagues cannot see my entries from the last 2 days either...
  • Oops—my mistake. Try the latest 2.0 Branch dev build, 2.0.9.r7977.
  • no problem.
    could you please send us the link for the latest Branch?
    we cannot find it...