Searching within attached PDFs not working as expected

Hello,

I tried searching for PDFs (of a certain Zotero tag) that contain a certain term, but Zotero's Advanced Search did not find any results for me. Even when searching for a word that probably appears in any paper ("and"), there were no results, whereas searching with Adobe Reader through the folder containing those particular PDFs did find them.

Screenshot of Advanced Search parameters used here: http://www.2shared.com/photo/Z3_wOu0j/SNAGIT_1-02-2011_11922_PM.html

Many thanks for any help!
  • Forgot to mention that the text in the PDFs *is* recognised as text (i.e. not a scanned image), which is why Adobe Reader does find it.

Could this be a bug in Zotero, or am I not using the Search feature correctly?
  • edited February 3, 2011
    And the quick search also does not return that paper as a result for the query? Does Zotero show that the paper is indexed (click on the PDF attachment in Zotero, look at the right pane)?
  • I can replicate this - the reason is that the attachments themselves aren't tagged -so you need to check the "Include parent and child items" options to get results.
  • So does the Attachment Content condition work at all without that box checked?
  • for attachments it does - it will just return attachments as search results
  • edited February 4, 2011
    Hi Adam,
    Once again you've solved my Zotero-related problem! :) Indeed checking the Include Parents box makes the attachment search work as expected.
    Thank you very much!