accessing group libraries on different computers

When I add items to the group library on my home computer, they don't always show up on my work computer, and vice versa, despite the sync running nonstop. Some items will appear, but not others. Even more mystifying, they do show up on the computers of my group member colleagues, and items they add show up on both my computers. If all the computers are syncing to the same group library through the members' accounts, shouldn't the same information appear on each? What am I doing wrong?
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing

Syncing is running slowly these days, and we're doing everything we can do to fix that.
  • edited January 31, 2011
    When I posted this question to the forum about slow syncing, you told me to start a new thread. I agree, I don't think this is a problem of slow syncing. My office computer has been "getting updated data from the sync server" literally nonstop for over 2 months now. On the home computer, the sync is completed, but still doesn't show files added on my work computer, though it shows files by other group members on THEIR computers. I don't follow how slow syncing would cause my two computers to have different, overlapping, incomplete libraries, while the other group members have complete, synchronized, up-to-date libraries. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
  • Then the problem is that your work computer hasn't successfully synced.

You have a large queued download right now, so you'll have to wait for that to complete. I see no completed downloads in the last few days.
  • Like I said, the work computer has been syncing for months now, and nothing ever changes. I think there's something wrong with it. Should I delete the data base, or even delete Zotero and reinstall it?
  • I understand—I'm just explaining why you're seeing different data on different computers.

You should not delete the database or reinstall Zotero.

I can't tell you anything more until your current download finishes.
  • edited January 31, 2011
    Files that I added at home in November and early December still haven't downloaded to my work computer. I wouldn't keep bugging you except that because of the weather, I have to work at home a lot, and I'm spending a lot of time figuring out what's missing and fixing them one by one. It would be really good if I could find a way to get them to sync more quickly and completely.
  • Hi again,

I realize now the problem is that my work computer simply isn't communicating with the Zotero servers. Nothing I've added on this (work) computer shows up anywhere else. I even deleted my entire personal (not group) library from this computer, but it is still on Zotero.org and on my home computer. My situation is similar to markneff in the "syncing has not worked for several weeks" forum. I'm wondering if it's a compatibility or setting issue. (I thought I posted this question there, but it disappeared. My apologies if this is a duplicate question.) Thanks again for your help and patience.
  • I realize now the problem is that my work computer simply isn't communicating with the Zotero servers.
    Yes, that's what I've been trying to convey.

I see repeated identical full downloads for your account, which indicates that, for some reason, those downloads aren't being processed by your copy of Zotero—either because you're force-quitting Firefox when they begin to process (which could appear to briefly freeze Firefox) or because of some other problem.

We've put in place a caching mechanism that should make such downloads instantaneous, and your last one took under three seconds. What happen now when you restart Firefox and click the sync icon? Do you get an error? If so, provide a Report ID.
  • I don't recall ever force-quitting Firefox or even having it crash on its own since starting to use Zotero a few months ago. I am currently working on my home computer, which apparently syncs just fine. That may be the 3-second download you saw. I will check the work computer tomorrow and send a Report ID if I get an error message. Thanks for your help.
  • I unfortunately have the same problem but I've mucked around too much with my Zotero account and probably have dug my own grave. I have two PCs and 1 zotero account. Would you mind taking a look at my download pattern and suggest a solution? Please let me know what other info you need.

Thank again!
  • fozzy40: Please create a new thread rather than resurrecting someone else's old one. And be sure to explain exactly what the problem is.