Minor sync error: 232690915 (Report ID)

I'm working through a sync of my library and groups, after giving the server a long rest, whilst jumping about between computers and Firefox instances. The process is going smoothly enough, and I expect everything will clear after a few more cycles. There have been some rough spots though, so here is some info in case it's useful for maintenance.

The first sync attempt produced a whopping 3500+ conflicts. These were almost all from attachments to statute objects produced by an experimental translator of mine (the one that tacks on one attachment for every provision in a piece of legislation). The attachments apparently had been given a timestamp a few hours into 1970 in an early iteration of the translator code. I don't remember the details (it was months ago), but I must have repeated the rip later in another Firefox instance after fixing the timestamp issue, and then neglected to sync. So no grounds for complaint (although I confess that I did find myself yearning for an "Accept all" button).

On the next iteration (today), Zotero went into a UI coma for a few minutes when it started processing data received from the server. I then got 18 conflicts, after which the "An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox." message appeared in the center panel. Despite the message, warning popups about items added to collections and tags added to items began appearing.

The popups were punctuated by further UI coma, which initially led me to believe that the whole process was bust, and I dutifully restarted Firefox a couple of times. But the same sequence of conflicts repeated itself both times, so the third time I let it run a bit more. The popups eventually cleared, and the file sync widget appeared next to the green spinner. Seven megabytes or so of data went up the wire.

Sync did ulitmately failed on that run (red error icon next to the green spinner), but after that the center panel remained stuck on the "An error has occurred." message.

The Report ID referenced in the subject line has some details. The full log from the run was captured to console (107mb). I've gzipped it and stuck it here for download, in case it's of use (just temporarily, I'll take the file down in a couple of days):

[removed — D.S.]

Hope this helps -- now to go back and give that button another try. :)

Frank
  • Uh-oh. The "An error occurred." message appears even after a restart of Firefox. This is in the multilingual version, so it may be a local issue. More news in a bit.
  • The attachments apparently had been given a timestamp a few hours into 1970 in an early iteration of the translator code.
    There was an issue earlier in the week, since fixed, that could've caused all files to register conflicts (and 1970 dates) on a full sync—but it sounds like maybe that was a while ago?
    On the next iteration (today), Zotero went into a UI coma for a few minutes when it started processing data received from the server. I then got 18 conflicts, after which the "An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox." message appeared in the center panel.
    I don't know how much of this we can debug, since it's hard to know what's from multilingual code and what's not. People generally haven't reported restart errors after large syncs, so that in particular sounds like it could be due to the branch code.

There are cases where Zotero can do a full pull from the server, as happened with you—that's part of the reason syncing is slow for some people, and we're trying to figure out the various causes of those and eliminate them if possible—but data shouldn't go back up unless it's different. I'll take a look at your output.
  • Aha. Sure enough, it's an error in my own code. "No such column: dateDeleted". So no implications for mainstream Zotero from the center panel error; looks like things are working normally otherwise, with occasional errors on an exceptionally demanding sync.