Word Plug-in: Dates and additing text with problems

Let me start to say thanks. This is a great product and I am a novice.
I am facing two problems.
1. I have books that have been re-published so I use in the date field like [1912], 1990. The first is the original date and the other the date of the re-print. Ideally the citation I would like is (Smith [1912], 1990). There is no way that I can have this consistently on the MS Word Citation? I tried to edit the field in Zotero, but now one citation is ok (in the footnote) and another with the same item is like before (Smith 1990). No way to tell Zotero to update it. What am I doing wrong?
2. Sometimes one needs really to tweak the citation: example when one needs only the date, since the name is included already in the paragraph, or when one needs to add some bits of text in the middle. I change directly the text in Word. But then if I update, everything, with my disappointment disappears or re-appears. What is the best way to deal with this sort of necessities?
Many thanks again
  • edited November 11, 2007
    First, make sure you have upgraded to the most recent version of Zotero (1.0.1) and the
    Word plugin

Now, when you are adding a citation in Word, and you want to suppress the author's name, check the box (under the drop-down box for page at the bottom of the add-citation window) that says "Suppress Author."

You can also edit your entry by clicking " Show Editor" (bottom left of window). Here you can add the [1912] to your citation. This probably isn't an ideal way to handle this if it happens a lot, but it should be a decent work around.