EBSCOhost translator could not save item

A friend who is a Mac user brought this to my attention, but I couldn't reproduce the problem, but now I can. I am running Linux Mint 9, Firefox 3.6.13, Zotero 2.0.9, with translators up to date. When I try to get data from EBSCOhost I get the "Could not save item" error. I would provide the URL, but you would need access to our school's proxy. This issue has cropped up before, but I didn't find a recent post about it.

Also, it appears that viewing multiple hits at once is broken as well. On a page with multiple hits clicking the folder icon shows only one.
  • provide a search string that allows us to get to the items you're trying to save. EBSCO is working for me in general.
    Also, post one sample URL so we can see what your proxy does.
  • Yeah, it was working fine for me when my friend came to me, but this morning it quit working. I don't recall updating Firefox, and the version number for Zotero hasn't changed since he came to me.

I searched for "der priesterliche tora" and none of the hits work (clicking the folder icon it shows only three hits from a list of 10). The permalink URL of one of the items is http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=fd43b2a1&AN=&site=ehost-live.
  • works fine for me.
    Again, if you could post a full URL to see what your proxy is doing that would help - if you're feeling strongly about anonymity you can xxx out the actual name of your school that will likely be in there, but there is really no reason.

Also, if you hover over the folder icon in the URL bar - what does it say (it will be something like Save to Zotero (EBSCO) or Save to Zotero (DOI) or so.
  • The search url is: http://ehis.ebscohost.com/ehost/results?hid=23&sid=469f0c33-4bc5-4db3-9b28-ac3f3ba3b874%40sessionmgr10&vid=2&bquery=%28%28der+AND+priesterliche+AND+tora%29%29&bdata=JmRiPWFwaCZkYj1haGwmZGI9cmZoJmRiPWJzaCZkYj11ZmgmZGI9ZXJpYyZkYj1oY2gmZGI9aGlhJmRiPW16aCZkYj1tYWgmZGI9cGhsJmRiPXBkaCZkYj1wc3loJmRiPXJpaCZkYj1zcGgmZGI9ZmQ0M2IyYTEmZGI9ZmRjYWFlNDgmZGI9ZmJhY2M5ZDAmZGI9ZjgwMWYxODEmZGI9ZmZkYzdjYzAmZGI9Zjk4N2U0YjcmZGI9ZmUyNTlhMmImZGI9ZmU5NWQ5ODEmdHlwZT0xJnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d. One item is http://ehis.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?hid=23&sid=469f0c33-4bc5-4db3-9b28-ac3f3ba3b874%40sessionmgr10&vid=3&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=fd43b2a1&AN=.

If I hover over the folder icon it says "Save to Zotero ... (EBSCOhost)."
  • edited January 19, 2011
    so what's going on is that the translator isn't working for the JSTOR items - if you look at your search results, you see that 8 of them are JSTOR and 2 from ATLA - if you only try importing the two ATLA items (Jesus Christus als die Mitte der Schrift.... and Textarbeit...) that should work.
    I don't know if this can be fixed easily. For the time being I'd recommend excluding the JSTOR results (in the integrated search bar on the right, first click "show all" then deselect JSTOR) and performing a separate search on JSTOR.

Edit: This may actually be an EBSCO issue unrelated to the translator - I don't think you can save the JSTOR results to your EBSCO folder (using the "alert/save/share" function) either - it looks like it works, but only the ATLA results end up in the folder.
  • Yes, you are right. JSTOR results don't work but others do. That helps.
  • Okay, I've worked with our reference librarian on this one and a few issues have surfaced:

1. Our library upgraded its service with EBSCOHost, adding eight additional databases to have a more integrated search. It is typically, but not always, these new databases that cause the problem. Sometimes ATLASerials does as well. (I don't know if this is related to the upgrade or whether the translator just got better, but item types are more clearly differentiated. Before everything was a journal article, but now Zotero distinguishes between journal articles and book sections. Very nice.)
    2. When a search brings up hits from non-EBSCOHost databases, moving all of the hits to a folder, as you mention above, separates them. In the EBSCOHost interface, a link on the left pane called "Other Content Sources" leads you to these hits.
    3. RefWorks is able to get these citations from non-EBSCOHost databases. This means that the data is there to retrieve.
    4. Clicking the Zotero folder icon in the address bar will list some hits and not others even though they might be from the same database, such as JSTOR. For example, I did a search on "Psalms and Genre" and the 8 non-EBSCOHost hits displayed this behavior, the hits being from JSTOR, Project Muse, and Springerlink, although the latter had only one hit.

This last issue throws a wrench into the following "theory," but here goes. Issues 1-3 make me wonder whether EBSCOHost is displaying non-EBSCOHost databases differently in metadata. RefWorks is able to negotiate this, but the Zotero translator isn't able to do so.

In any case, it seems to me that the snag is more likely with Zotero, but I could be wrong. I will have a look at the metadata and see if I can see a difference.
  • EBSCO actually has someone who has helped patch the Zotero translator code in the past:
    http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/browse_thread/thread/93cc91f33e5a7bce/6ec8fc0e41f2c78a?lnk=gst&q=EBSCO#6ec8fc0e41f2c78a
    so it's certainly worthwhile getting in touch with them.
    I still think it's likely due to the way EBSCO exports these "other content sources"
  • Hello,

I am also having problems with saving EBSCOhost items.

I filed an error report # 1751103089

When trying to save articles from EBSCOhost databases, I get the error message of could not save item.

I was searching in Academic Search Premier. Here is the link:
    http://ehis.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?hid=5&sid=d5b6cce8-90cd-4612-9eb8-c3027ea2e598%40sessionmgr10&vid=4&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=aph&AN=52093087

When I hovered over the article icon in the address bar it said it was using EBSCOhost.

I tried everything in the Known Translator Issues help documentation.

I am using Firefox 3.6.3, Zotero 2.0.9, and OSX 10.5.8.

Please let me know what else I can do. Thanks, Diana
  • It turns out that RefWorks DOES NOT bring in these hits. One commonality between hits that do not important is that there is no PublicationType in the metadata.

In the meantime, using BibTeX is at least better than typing everything:
    1. Add any hits you want to bring into Zotero to the folder in EBSCOhost. You can do this by individual hit with "Add to folder" or from the "Alert / Save / Share" drop-down tab on the blue bar.
    2. Click on "Folder" at the top of the page. The first list will be items you can import in the normal way using Zotero. I would do that here so Zotero doesn't hang with the translator problem.
    3. Click on the "Other Content Sources" link in the left pane. Select what you want to bring into Zotero and click "Export" in the right pane. Choose "Citations in BibTeX format" and click "Save." Then copy the entire page (Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C). Open Zotero (Ctrl-Alt-Z), and from the "Actions" menu (drop down that looks like a gear) click "Import from Clipboard." Zotero will create a new collection with all the hits. You can move it to the appropriate sub-collection.

Be sure to check the data, though, because I saw that it doesn't bring in dates and it doesn't get the right publication type. Everything else comes, I think.
  • ah yes - publication type is required - RIS import (which Zotero uses here) crashes without. Please do get in touch with EBSCO about this - they're pretty responsive