Copying Citations

Hi, I use the zotero word plug in pretty heavily... I was just wondering if it is possible to copy citations between documents? I tried it and it works. Now I was wondering if I could potentially run into trouble? For instance, what happens if I copy a reference from a file that was created when I was working with zotero 1.0 and copy it into a file that is based on zotero 2.0?

Could this be a potential problem for future upgrades?
Thanks!
Steve
  • Copying references between documents is fully intended usage (how else would you, e.g., merge the chapters of a book/dissertation).
    I'd imagine copying Zotero 1.0 references to Zotero 2.0 document might cause trouble in theory, but only if you don't update the 1.0 document first - which happens automatically when you open it with Zotero 2.0 installed, so this isn't a problem that's likely to actually occur.
    The same is true for Zotero 2.0 and 2.1 - documents auto-update the first time you open them with 2.1 and its plugin installed, so to answer your last question, no that won't be a problem for future updates.
  • Thanks. That's good to here... I thought that's the reason I encountered problems with the upgrade to 2.1 beta. Please see here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15948/upgrade-to-beta-4-problems-with-word-integration/