Upgrade to beta 4 - problems with word integration

Hi there,

I just discovered some issues with upgrading to the 2.1beta 4 version. Once I installed the new word plug in, zotero updated my word document. Then, when I tried to insert a new citation I just could see {Citation}. When I viewed the field code it showed {ADDIN ZOTERO_TEMP}

When I tried to do a zotero refresh, I received the message "citation is undefined"...

For now, I downgraded again to the stable 2.0 release.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
Steve
  • edited January 19, 2011
    So is this a known problem? Do you need more info to reproduce the problem? Can I input this in some sort of problem tracking tool?

Thanks!
  • This isn't a known issue, and we can't put it in a tracking tool until we have a set of steps to reproduce it. Does this happen to you in every document, or only a specific document? Does the style matter?
  • edited January 21, 2011
    So what information do you need to put this issue in the tracking tool?

1) I installed zotero 2.1b4 over the stable release 2.0.9 in ff 3.6.12
    2) I updated the word plugin
    3) I opened a word file (doc) that was used with zotero 2.0.9
    4) Zotero updated said document
    5) I tried to insert a new citation but instead showing the citation (e.g. Porter, 1980) it was showing {Citation}
    6) When I checked out the field code for this field, it showed {ADDIN ZOTERO_TEMP}
    7) When I tried to do a zotero refresh, I got an error message saying "citation is undefined"

Also, I use the "Academy of Management" style. This was happening in every document that I updated to 2.1beta. I downgraded to 2.0.9 for now...
  • It doesn't work that way—this is your thread, and you're the only person experiencing the problem, so any discussion will take place here.

Simon asked if the style made a difference. We might also need a Report ID after trying to create a citation.
    Style made no difference + I have no report ID because the error message was presented through the word plugin...
    Did you read the Report ID instructions? You can still generate error reports for many errors that show up in the plugins.
  • Yes, I did read the instructions... but since I was not familiar with the way bug tracking works (unitl now), I did not go through the whole click on settings + click on Report Errors... when the error happened a couple days ago.

That's why I followed the instructions on your website: "If you aren't able to provide a Report ID, be sure to include your Zotero version, Firefox version, and operating system in your bug report." So I guess I forgot to include the operating system: Windows 7 64bit

Also, I am not able to reproduce the error because I am using the stable version again + hope that the 2.1 final won't cause the same issues. Lesson learned: If updating, try zotero on a COPY of a document so that updating issues won't affect your work... I'm sure you guys refer to this somewhere on your website but I guess I learned the hard way.
  • You should always have backups of important files, but nothing is permanently changed in the document until you save it. The 2.1 Beta page, however, does say this:
    Warning: Use of Zotero 2.1 with your Word and OpenOffice documents will irrevocably upgrade them, and you will no longer be able to use them with Zotero 2.0 releases.
    It sounds like you probably don't want to be running beta software in general, but if you did want to ensure that the bug was fixed in 2.1 Final, you'd have to help us debug it. Otherwise it probably won't get fixed unless someone else reports it. Entirely your pick, but that's how it works.
  • edited February 1, 2011
    I have experienced the same problem

word 2010 (.docx), win7 64-bit, ff 3.6.13, zotero 2.1b5.

Here is what I know:

- Upgraded to 2.1 beta
    - Days later: Tried to insert citation in word - warned me that it needed to upgrade document - said yes
    - Could not edit, to add another source to an existing citation, gave me the message "zotero experienced an error updating your document. Citation is undefined""

Closed ff and word document.
    Tried again.. now different behaviour:

In some cases I can add multiple sources without a problem.

In some cases I can't:
    (It doesn't matter if I try to add a source to an existing citation field, or if i want to create a completely new field.. I'll use the latter as a scenario).

- Click insert citation in ribbon
    - Click button 'multiple sources'
    - Select a source and click green rigth arrow
    - Select another source and click green rigth arrow
    - Column 'multiple sources' is cleared!
    - Click click green rigth arrow again .. the source selected will be transfered to the column (as the only source)

This happens consistently with some of my sources, and does consistently NOT happen with other sources, so you would think it has something to do with the format of the sources? (I can't find anything they have in common though, but havent explored all similarities)
  • Is this consistent across citation styles?
    Is this also the case if you start a new document?
    Can you report and error ID after such a failed attempt? (see Dan's link above)
  • This is a known issue, and a fix is in the works.
  • @adamsmith
    Here is what I get:

Same problem in new document.

However...
    When I changed the citation style from APA (6th) to American Medical (..), and American Sociological .. the problem disappeared.
    In fact it disappeared so well, that when I changed back to APA things now work fine!

Strange, Guess the recalculation involved fixed whatever the issue was.

No errors to harvest from ff zotero addon - (the 'report errors' menu item is grayed out / disabled)

---

@fbennet: Nice. guess no need for this error report, but i'll post it anyway
  • Frank and I think we know the cause of this "citations is undefined" error, and a fix should be forthcoming.
  • Same here - tried with standalone also.

[JavaScript Error: "citation is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 1613}]

Waiting for that fix - I have to manually recode my whole study otherwise...
  • edited February 10, 2011
    No fix in beta 6 - Firefox crashes if using Refresh or Settings in this erroneous document. Now, sadly, I have to remove all my codes.
  • same problem here.
    Word 2010, Windows 7 32b, ff 3.6.13, Zotero 2.1.b6
  • I get a "citations is undefined" error when I refresh my document.
  • ohhh I just read the instructions to report bugs... so this bug report id might also be useful to you :-)

Steps to reproduce: try the "refresh" function of the word add-in.
  • seinecle - update your Zotero - the newest version is 2.1b7
  • edited February 22, 2011
    Be sure to set aside a copy of the offending document; it may seem an odd thing to say, but anything that can reproduce the error is a valuable resource at this stage. (And what adamsmith says. There was a bug in pre-Zotero 2.1b7 releases that could cause this, but we haven't seen any other reports of the error since that release.)
  • Adam Smith: solved it, thx!
    Thx to Simon, A.S. and fbennett for your quick reactions!
  • That's great to hear.