Error updating openoffice.org document in 2.1b

I was having problems getting the openoffice.org plugin to work (which I posted in another thread) and so I decided to upgrade the zotero and openoffice.org plugins to 2.1b. It worked for a while but then I started getting this message whenever I tried to add a reference to a document:

"Zotero experienced and error updating your document.

citations is undefined"

Below are the errors from Firefox (in place of a number, as it seems the on-line submission is broken since I upgraded too). Some of these errors may have to do with the fact that I'm not able to save references in the new version either (different problem). I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and Firefox 3.6.13.

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Zotero.configure is not a function" {file: "file:///home/joseph/.mozilla/firefox/d9vmd0xe.default/zotero/translators/RIS.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "parse error" {file: "file:///home/joseph/.mozilla/firefox/d9vmd0xe.default/zotero/translators/RIS.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Zotero.configure is not a function" {file: "file:///home/joseph/.mozilla/firefox/d9vmd0xe.default/zotero/translators/RIS.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "parse error" {file: "file:///home/joseph/.mozilla/firefox/d9vmd0xe.default/zotero/translators/RIS.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "citations is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2743}]

[JavaScript Error: "citations is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2743}]
  • Ok I've copied and pasted the contents of the file into a new document. Not exactly a seamless process but the new document now works so I guess this is the workaround for now.

Joe
  • I'm having this problem again with a document I created after installing 2.1b2, so it now looks like the problem is not merely with upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1 but also with adding references to something created in 2.1. Right now, adding references to this document is spotty--sometimes it works if I close the document and Firefox and restart, but before long clicking "Ok" in the Zotero window doesn't do anything, and if I click "Cancel," I get the following error dialog:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined"

If I click "Refresh" I get the error:

citations is undefined"

Here are the errors I get from the Zotero "Report errors...": (I can't submit it using the on-line system because that function also seems to be broken in the beta.)

[JavaScript Error: "this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2582}]

[JavaScript Error: "c is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2532}]

[JavaScript Error: "c is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2532}]

[JavaScript Error: "this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 2582}]
  • I had a similar problem. After much teeth knashing, I used the 'Rebuild Index' under Search, and Preferences. This seemed to work, oh, and rebooting the machine. Good luck. Z2.2b
  • @MapLicker,

The index used for text searches of Zotero content is unrelated to the citation processor (which is where the error posted by joehill is coming from).

It is likely that this error has been caused by a bug in the citeproc-js processor that I have just pinned down and fixed in a fresh version release. The new processor will become available in Zotero when it is merged by the core developers, first in the trunk, and later in a Zotero beta release.

Sorry for the inconvenience over this; it was caused by a small typographical error, brought on by a poor choice of variable naming conventions at the time that part of the processor was written.
  • I am having the same problem as joehill. I am using Zotero 2.1.1 and the Zotero 2.1 word processor plugin. I am working in a Word file that was created using the earlier version of Zotero/Word plugin. I did the "permanent upgrade" to the file to work with the newest version of Zotero. When I insert a new citation or modify an existing citation I am unable to do so (Zotero is not responsive). After clicking "Cancel" I get this error message: zotero experienced an error this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined.

The error log is similar to the one listed by joehill. The error report ID is 1972897618.
  • The upcoming Zotero 2.1.2 release will include a number of fixes to word processor integration. If you're still having trouble with this document, you might want to try installing the preview release to see if that will fix it. Details are available here.
  • Zotero 2.1.2 is now available. You can download it from http://zotero.org/ or choose "Check for Updates" in the Firefox add-on manager.
  • edited March 31, 2011
    Hi Simon,

I just updated to 2.1.2 and get the error that the people reported above.

this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined"

Impossible to insert any new references or to update the index. I'm using MS Word 2003 on Windows 7. It's only in one document, but annoying nevertheless.

Debug ID: 1209400782
    Steps to reproduce:
    - Win 7 with MS Word 2003 and Zotero 2.1.1 with WinWord integration
    - Document with text and Zotero references (inserted as Fields) and index.
    - Update to Zotero 2.1.2 while the document is open.
    - The error pops up.
  • I am getting the same "citation undefined" error with 2.1.8. I'm using Win 7 with MS Word 2007 and citations in AMA format.
  • Marthina, can you provide a report ID after re-triggering the error?
  • Report ID: 2086545529
  • The error in your error report is:
    An item in this document is missing from your Zotero library.
    Are you seeing another message ("Item %1$S in this citation no longer exists in your Zotero database.") before you get an error? If so, what are you clicking in response?
  • "Item 2 (or 1) in this citation no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item? Clicking “no” will delete the field codes for citations containing this item, preserving the citation text but deleting it from your bibliography."

I've tried:
    clicking "no", "yes", and "cancel"
    deleting the item from the library then saving in a different format
  • Just another hint. If you relink manually there are problems with multiple sources. After subsituting the first item you get an error message. Just click the "update document" button again and continue subsituting the next item in the multiple source or the next citation. Once you're through with the entire document it works fine again.