Changing citation style

I wrote my PhD thesis with in-text citations e.g. (Miller 1987: 54). Both I and my editor at OUP would prefer the book version to have superscript numbers in the text, with the references in endnotes. Is there any way I can magically transform the entire 100,000-word text in one go?
A further possible problem: when I wrote the thesis I think I was still using the 1.0 plug-in for OpenOffice. Now I have the 3.0 plug-in. Is this likely to cause difficulties, or can I just refresh the entire thesis to work with the new plug-in?
All advice welcome!
  • edited December 28, 2010
    In general, the answer is yes, you can convert in one click.
    However, the spacing and positioning of in-text and footnoted references is slightly difference. E.g., for an in text reference, you usually have <space> <insert Reference> <period> for a footnote, you'd have <nospace> <period> <insert Reference>
    Zotero cannot make that change for you - you'll have to edit manually (though, obviously, this will be much, much faster than converting by hand.)

I'd try out the version issue with a copy of your dissertation file - in general, Zotero will update your documents as it needs to so this should work - but skipping a version _might_ cause a problem. So test it, and if upgrading doesn't work, come back for more advice.

And congrats on the OUP contract!

edit: one more thing - ideally, the upgrading of the document should happen with the same database it was written with, rather than with a synced copy. If you moved your database by copying your data folder that's fine.
  • Thanks for such a fast reply, Adam.
    It looks as if I need to make sure the document will work with the new plug-in before I start changing the citation style. I've taken a test copy to play with rather than risking the original. Presumably I just need to hit the Refresh button -- but that gives me a page of error messages beginning:

"An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
    com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.remoteUnoRequestRaisedException(Job.java:177)
    at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.Job.execute(Job.java:335)
    at com.sun.star.lib.uno.environments.remote.JobQueue.enter(JobQueue.java:335)"
    and so on for another 40 lines. I hit the Exit X at the top and it gives me another page, and another...

Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way....
  • yeah - that's what I feared could happen - maybe Simon or Dan would have an idea if and how that can be fixed easily. I don't know the plugins well enough to tell.
  • Okay -- I'll wait and see if they can help.
    Btw, the only way out of the problem above is to use Windows Task Manager to kill OOo.
    Meanwhile, I'll just keep on editing the text...
  • Hi. I wondered if anyone had a solution to the OOo plug-in problem. I suspect I'll have to solve that before I can change the citation format from in-text to endnotes -- and I haven't figured out how to do that either...

Incidentally, I love using Zotero; I used it for building the bibliography for another book this year -- which must be when I upgraded my OOo plug-in. But surely most s/w is designed with backward compatibility when new versions are brought in?

Hope someone can help.