Confusing Swedish translation of "Item Type"

I failed to set up a saved search for an item type because I misunderstood the translation of the field names - I used the field called "Typ" when I should have used the field called "Posttyp". (See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15696/search-for-item-type-broken/)

In the Zotero library listing, "Item type" is translated as "Typ", and in the "add new record field" it is not translated at all. However, in the advanced search it is called "Posttyp". There is a field in the advanced search called "Typ", but that refers to a field used for Theses. (I do not know what it is intended for or what it is called in English.)

The translation of "item type" should be made consistent, to avoid confusion.

I'd be happy to help out. (http://www.analys.gf.gu.se/om-avdelningen/medarbetare/magnus-gunnarsson/)
  • To fix this, just say what you'd rather see in each case. The Typ for theses is called "Type" in English, and I personally use it for things like "Ph.D.", "M.A.", "Candidate" (and similar things, sometimes including the field).
  • Hm. The problem really starts off in the English version, where there is a field usually called "Type", but sometimes called "Report Type" (for reports) or "Post Type" (for forum posts).

Here is my suggestion:

Brief description

TODAY'S ENGLISHTOMORROW'S ENGLISHTOMORROW'S SWEDISH
    Item typeItem typeTyp
    Type(Subtype)Undertyp
    Long description
    1. In the right-hand pane with detailed information about the item
    a. "Item type" should be translated as "Typ".
    b. "Typ", which appears for the item types Thesis ("Avhandling"), Letter ("Brev"), Map ("Karta"), Manuscript ("Manuskript") and Presentation should be translated as "Avhandlingstyp", "Brevtyp", "Karttyp", "Manuskripttyp" and "Presentationstyp", respectively.

2. In the dialogues for advanced search and saved search
    a. "Item type" should be ytranslated as "Typ".
    b. "Type" should be transated as "Undertyp".
    (c. The English word should perhaps be "Subtype" here, to avoid confusion with item type.)