Rebuilding Index; old server details

I am having a problem with Rebuilding the Index in Zotero.

When I first started with Zotero nearly 3 years ago I used my iDisk as a WebDav server to sync with. Later I moved to Zotero servers. I have accumulated nearly 900 items that are not indexed, Zotero is running incredibly slowly when I try to include a citation in a document, and I figured I would rebuilt the index.

I get an error message referring back to the old WebDav server name that no longer exists. The error message appears 6-8 times and then I get a script message to exit the error message cycle. I can't find anyway to clear this error.

I have set myself up with Dropbox as a WebDav using info I found in the documentation here but I still get the error.

How can I remove reference to the old WebDav server so I don;t get the error message anymore, and, rebuild the index properly?

BTW, I would rather use the Zotero servers than Dropbox for my sync server but syncing and indexing isn't working... I have two machines that must use the same index.
  • "I have set myself up with Dropbox as a WebDav using info I found in the documentation here but I still get the error."
    could you specify that? There are no instructions for that in the documentation (afaik there is one link I posted very recently to a very recent blog post) and using dropbox syncing (rather than WebDav syncing) is a pretty reliable way to corrupt your database.

Have you checked database integrity in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences?

What is the exact error message you are getting? (please copy)
  • I get an error message
    Please provide exact error messages when reporting bugs, or it's much harder for us to help you. Syncing has nothing to do with full-text indexing, so I have no idea what problem you're reporting.

http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • Hi,
    I followed the link adamsmith posted for using DropBox and got it working but decided to go back to iDisk as my WebDav because I don't like a 3rd party knowing the signing credentials to my DropBox. iDisk is now working at my WebDav.

In Preferences, Search I can Rebuild the Index, on the next screen, if I select to include the un-indexed items that is when the error message appears

The error message is a formatted popup box that states "The server "name of server" is unavailable, or may be corrupted, unavailable, and that I should check my network connections.

The error message has not appeared since I set up iDisk as my WebDav and moved off the Zotero server though the rebuild never ends and it locks up Firefox and I have to force Firefox down.

Does this help?
  • Actually, it has just started again!

I have screen shots, how do I upload them?

M
  • I followed the link adamsmith posted for using DropBox
    adamsmith didn't post a link for using Dropbox—he said it was a good way to corrupt your database.
    I don't like a 3rd party knowing the signing credentials to my DropBox.
    No idea what third party you're referring to.
    The error message is a formatted popup box that states "The server "name of server" is unavailable, or may be corrupted, unavailable, and that I should check my network connections.
    That still has nothing to do with syncing, or really with Zotero itself. If you're seeing that message when rebuilding your search index, it means you linked network-based files into Zotero and the network drive is no longer available. We can't really help you with that. The best you could do is figure out what files it's trying to access and deleting them from Zotero. If you generate real-time debug output for the reindexing attempt you might be able to see what file it's trying to access when it hangs.
  • The third party referred to is one that provides a WebDAV interface to Dropbox, mentioned in the forums recently.
  • right - I linked to a blogpost describing that - so that's where "adamsmith linked to" comes from.
    (this is the link: http://gettinggeneticsdone.blogspot.com/2010/12/sync-your-zotero-library-with-dropbox.html )

Screenshots - upload them to a free image hosting site like imageshack.us and post a link here.