Original Publication Information, relationships, Interviews

To pick up from the conversation here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/917/introduction-by/#Item_15

bdarcus said:
Right, because Endnote has a brain-dead flat data model.

Answering my own question, BTW, the way you deal with it is to treat the original resource as a full object, and explicitly relate them (resource A is version of resource B or some such).
I tried doing this, but wasn't successful, so wanted to see what I was doing wrong. This is what I am trying to cite

The original publication is a book section:
Wolf, Christa. "The Fourth Dimension." Interview by Joachim Walther, in _Meinetwegen Schmetterlinge_, ed. Joachim Walther (Berlin, 1973).

[Side note: The interview object seems like it's only good for unpublished interviews, not published ones, so this probably should be clarified as "Unpublished Interview"? This is why I didn't select Interview as my object]

The reprint/translation is another book section:
Wolf, Christa. "The Fourth Dimension: A Conversation with Joachim Walther," in _The Author's Dimension: Interviews with Christa Wolf_, trans. Hilary Pilkington (Verso: London and New York, 1988), 1-16.

I related them under the 'related' tab, but only get one or the other citation.
Thanks for any help.
  • connie: when I wrote "the way you deal with it" I should have been more clear: I meant it's how the Zotero team should deign the data model and GUI.

So you can't yet do this, but this will get fixed sometime in the future. Examples like interviews are perfect examples of where the current approach (and that in Endnote) is inadequate.
  • connie: for a workaround until Zotero implements the relational model, you can use "book section" for interviews and add the interviewee as "author" and the interviewer as a contributor. You can also put the word "interview" in the abstract field, so you can easily find and correct these items after Zotero adds hierarchical item types (this will only be possible after Firefox 3.0 comes out I think).