Strange relations and orphaned items in database - corrupted?

Hi all,

while accessing a copy of sqlite database directly to export some data on the quick way in OpenOffice.org (all tags related to a specific project) I realized there where a lot of double entries in tags:

For many tags I found two entries with the same value having different IDs. One of each pair carrying a libraryID one not. Ok, so far I understand. Once I moved some Items to and from a group library to a local collection. So maybe there are tags which belong to the group library and some belong to local collections.

So I explored the data and the relations. For both of the tagIDs (with the same Value) I found entries in the local collections.

And no the surprise: If I renamed the tag in zotero manually only one of the both entries got a new value. But also the Items in the local collections which depended on the other one of the tag-pair (which I didn't rename) got the new tag-name in zotero.

Is something wrong in the database or is this just a normal behaviour - and there are some relations in other table beetween different tagIDs?

If I check the database integrity I get no errors.

cheers
  • If I renamed the tag in zotero manually only one of the both entries got a new value. But also the Items in the local collections which depended on the other one of the tag-pair (which I didn't rename) got the new tag-name in zotero.
    I don't follow what you're saying here.

Items and tags in different libraries are not related. (Technically, links between items dragged between libraries are stored, but that's it, and nothing is done with those links yet.)
  • Dan, thanks for the quick answer. It leaded me to explore the behaviour again and I found my mistake. I found out that one the tags belongs to the group library and one to the local library. And there are different Items (with the same values) which refer to the different tags (with the same name). I didn't realize that two different Items can refer to the same value and I searched back from a title of a book (in sqlitebrowser).

But while exploring my mistake I run in a potential bug (at least a very confusing behavior):

If I go to a group library in zotero, filtering with one tag. Than going back to a local collections where this tag doesn't exist and get displayed no results at all. Ok, no wonder, because it's still filtered by the tag of the group-library. But because the tag doesn't exist in the local library, there is also no tag displayed in the tag-browser. So I can deselect the tag to display all Items.

I have to go back to the group-library to deselect the tag. Returning to the local collection there are displayed all Items.

Once I run into this and had no Idea what happened. I was thinking my library was gone completely and restarted firefox. Than already was ok.

Maybe It would be good to deselect all tags automatically while returning from group-libraries back to local library.
  • I can't reproduce it anymore. No zotero showed correctly "1 tag selected" in the tag browser and I can choose "deselect all".

cheers