"Locate" menu or other easy way to visit a URL

When I have an entry with a URL element, it would be nice if the Locate button at least had an option that would simply take me to that URL. There's a Wayback Machine button, but I just want to see what it is today - and that should be super easy to implement. Currently I have to enter the URL field, select all text, copy it, and paste it into the browser navigation bar. With a tool as powerful as Zotero, can't we take the few seconds and make an easier way?

Thanks!
  • edited December 14, 2010
    if you have a snapshot attached - which you should for items with a URL - you can select that and you'll see a clickable link in the right-hand panel that takes you to the page (rather than the saved snapshots).
  • You can also click on the label "URL" in the item metadata panel to open the URL. Same thing for DOIs.
  • And if there's no snapshot, simply clicking View or double-clicking the item in the middle pane will take you to the URL in the URL field.
  • You can also click on the label "URL" in the item metadata panel to open the URL.
    I never stop learning - I had no idea. But it's right there on the tips and tricks page...
  • wbt
    edited December 14, 2010
    Thanks to ajlyon for the tip I was looking for!
    For most of my work, I only want to see snapshots if the URL is not available; otherwise I want to reference the "live" source to see if anything's updated. Double clicking the item shows me the snapshot, which I have set to save by default.
    For Adam, usually I'm viewing the Item (and not the attached Snapshot) in Zotero and would like the link from there. Isn't it great to learn new things every day?
    Thanks for all your replies - I'll be clicking on the letters "URL" to get there from here!