Zotero RIS Export misses Book Title when importing to Endnote

Would it possible to change the RIS export file to properly tag the Book Title (in category "Book Section")? When I import a RIS file exported from Zotero 2.1 beta 2 via RIS, the book title field remains empty in Endote (EN X3 Mac). I assume, it's not tagged correctly in the RIS file?
  • look at the RIS with a text editor and copy a sample entry here. This could also be wrong on Endnote's end.
  • Here's an example:

TY - CHAP
    ID - 2616
    T1 - Air Power, Space Power and Geography
    JF - Geopolitics, geography, and strategy
    CY - London and Portland, OR
    A1 - Lambeth,Benjamin S.
    ED - Gray,Colin S.
    ED - Sloan,Geoffrey R.
    PB - Frank Cass
    PY - 1999///
    KW - geopolitics
    SP - 63
    EP - 82
    ER -

The book title is coded "JF" - is that correct? Shouldn't that be T2? I don't really know the correct tag that Endnote expects. How could I change that from within Endnote (in other words, what do I need to look for in the RIS import filter)?

Thanks for the prompt help!
  • I think this should indeed be T2 - that's what it is on the sample of the RIS specs
    http://www.refman.com/support/risformat_sample_05.asp
    but maybe I'm missing something? This has come up before, at least for conference proceedings - could we get this changed?
  • This is fixed for book sections now at https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/raw/master/RIS.js

Try saving that into your translators directory and exporting again.

@adamsmith: What precisely do we need to change for conference proceedings?
  • I think it's exactly the same issue - proceedings title should be T2, not JF
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7961/export-in-ris-format-link-to-pdf-file/
    (towards the bottom of the thread)
    unless that's been fixed since - I didn't check.
  • I've updated my draft RIS translator to do the same for conferencePaper
  • jkr
    edited November 30, 2010
    @ajlyon - thx you so much - that was exactly the solution I needed!

Am I right to assume that the translator you have linked here fixes the issue with the Proceedings as well?
  • It should -- does it work for you?
  • @ajlyon - It does - Thanks again!
  • Since this is a fairly small change, I'm going to go ahead and commit it to the repository. Hopefully this will go out with the next release of Zotero (next beta of 2.1).

There are also larger reworkings of the RIS translator on the way to better accommodate Endnote's oddities, so please post if any other RIS wishlist items occur to you -- now is the time to make sure they are addressed.
  • Wish-list:
    1 - BOOK (with only Editor/s as author/s)
    - EDITOR is not being transferred to EDITOR in Endnote
    - the entry is being marked as BOOK not as EDITED BOOK in Endnote

2 - Newspaper
    Would it be possible to transfer the data for:
    ISSUE DATE
    and/or
    EDITION
    to the same fields in Endnote?

3 - Report
    Right now the following data is transferred wrongly:
    - REPORT NUMBER (is being exported to VOLUME, should be exported to field REPORT NUMBER in Endnote)
    - REPORT TYPE is not being exported at all (there is a field TYPE in Endnote)
    - DATE is not being exported at all (there is a field DATE in Endnote)
    - ACCESSED is not being exported to ACCESS DATE in Endnote (or anywhere else)
  • the current discussion on the dev list is here.
    http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/browse_thread/thread/ad55d89ed54a0a91
    I've added a link to this thread.
    I can see that at least the edited book issue is already being addressed.
  • edited January 27, 2011
    # ajlyon

The link to ris.js file seemed to work, but I wasn't able to select "export notes" option after replacing the file (in Translator folder). I then restared firefox and now, I cannot export in RIS format (it's not a format available for exporting anymore). Did I do something wrong?

Thanks and sorry for my frenchglish
  • edited January 27, 2011
    Also, if that could be useful for End Note user, when you export a RIS file from EndNote, the abstract (AB) is readed as a Note when the same file is imported in Zotero (Zotero expect N2 for the abstract, I think). What would be the best solution for this compatibility issue?

Thanks to everyone