Search results appearing in grey vs in black

I noticed that certain items of a search result appear in grey, while others appear in black.

This happens both with normal searches and with Advanced searches.

The items that appear in grey often don't actually seem to meet the search criteria. Could anyone please explain what is the difference between grey results and black results? Thanks! :)
  • grey results have an attachment that contains the search term or are attached to or with an item containing the term. Black results (including said attachments) actually contain the term. If you select all (ctrl+a) only the black items will be selected.
  • Got it, thanks!
  • Thinking about it, this feature is actually quite distracting, and I am not quite sure what the point of it is. If I do a simple search for a word that is found in the title of one of the papers in my collection, I get a huge list of results, all of which are grey with the exception of the one paper that actually contains that word in its title, and not in some other less relevant place. That sole paper appears as a black result, and I have to manually browse through all the grey results before finding it, which takes slightly less than actually looking for that paper manually (i.e. without doing a search).

If I use the Advanced search for Title containing that word, then the results are simple and expected: only the papers having that word in the title are displayed (in black). But the simple search is unusable for that kind of search, as far as I can see...

Can this behaviour of the simple search be changed, i.e. only display relevant results and not (in grey) partially relevant results?

Many thanks once again for your help!
  • That´s a different issue, though. Changing - or allowing to customize - the simple search is a frequent request and will most likely happen at some point. Most people with large collections have stopped using the simple search entirely, because it just takes forever.
    Search the forum for more on this.

But the grey vs. black, thing can be very practical - e.g. you can search for attachment type is PDF and then only have PDF files in black, which you can then drag to the file system. Lots of other related possibilities.