Easily disable Zotero

I only use Zotero when doing research - the rest of the time I like pages to load as quickly as possible. At the moment the only way to disable Zotero is through the Add-ons menu, which requries a restart of Firefox. Would it be possible to make right-clicking on the Zotero icon in the toolbar show an option to disable Zotero, similar to how Greasemonkey can be temporarily disabled?
  • Feel free to contradict me if your experience suggests otherwise, but zotero's auto-detect features are triggered (as far as I know) by regular expressions matching against incoming URLs. They shouldn't interfere with page loading time except by the most minuscule amount. I would think that even a high-speed connection is more likely to be a bottleneck than Zotoro. But I'm no expert. Others?
  • edited October 29, 2007
    Yes, nearly all of the translators use regexes against the URL and should have no performance impact whatsoever on unsupported sites. There are a few that must run a detection function on every page (COinS, UnAPI...), and the site-specific ones will often also run a detection function on pages that pass the regex, but those detect functions should be extremely quick, and all translator operations only run after the page is fully loaded.

If people were experiencing slowdowns of any sort outside the Zotero pane itself, we'd want to know it—though Venkman profiling would probably be required to tell for sure.
  • But there's still a good reason to be able to quickly turn off Zotero in Firefox: the new standalone app won't run if Zotero is on in Firefox. An easy off-button would allow users to continue their Firefox sessions and open the standalone Zotero app.
  • A future version of Zotero (based on the current trunk) will automatically switch into connector mode (equivalent to Chrome/Safari plugins) when Standalone is started.

Closing this very old thread.
This discussion has been closed.