University of Chicago notes with bibliography

From what I understand, in University of Chicago "notes with bibliography" style, the second time a work is used, the title and reference information are shortened. When I used a work twice, it did not do this. Is there a way to do this with Zotero other than by editing the note?

And if I put in a second cite to the same work twice and it shows up with the complete information, can I edit the citation later?

Your help is most appreciated!
  • Zotero doesn't automatically shorten the title (that would be hard to do) - it uses whatever is in the "Short Title" field in Zotero - some catalogues add this automatically, but in other case you'd have to do that by hand.
  • I didn't realize there was a short title field. Very cool.
  • OK, I put in a short title. But now the first time it's cited, it uses the first title. Is there a way to set it so the longer title is used the first time and then the short title thereafter?
  • oh - that style actually doesn't do that - I don't understand all the Chicago styles and their distinctions - the Full Note style will use a full citation and then the short title for subsequent one. The Note style will always use the short title when its available. - I don't know what CMOS has to say about that - but Elena who wrote these styles is usually right.
  • Ah, thanks. I'll have to ask my publisher if they want Full Note or Note style.
  • adamsmith, This is off topic, but maybe you know the answer to this. My citations are all in footnotes now but I may need to switch to endnotes. If I do that via a Word macro, are there any known issues w/Zotero?
  • there shouldn't be any problems - try it out in a copy of your document to be safe, but Zotero doesn't really care if it's in Endnotes or Footnotes.