Update anything

I'd like to update links, snapshots, etc. and keep my original notations and highlighted text if that changed.
  • I'd like too. Because sometimes I include 'In Press' articles in the collection, and I'd like to update information when published.
  • Well, this is very important, as more and more articles are published online first and then the final journal assigns the volume and page information. Is there any progress for this feature??
  • What feature, exactly?
  • Automatically update the information of the articles published online ahead of print.
    take NCBI for example, when an article is published online ahead of print, the information looks like "Dev Dyn. 2009 Sep 30. [Epub ahead of print]"(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19795510), there is no information about the volume, pages, etc. When it is formally published, it looks like this one "Dev Dyn. 2009 Aug;238(8):1984-98." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19650145).
    What I want is to update the information of the pre-Epub articles when it is formally published according to the URL, either automatically or providing an option for mannually updating.
    Thx~
  • OK, I'm not sure that's what JAvZZe was referring to (two years ago), but it seems to be what juanmah meant.

I don't think there's really a good way to do this automatically, and doing it manually as a command to re-translate the original URL wouldn't work if there wasn't a URL or resolvable identifier or if proxy login was necessary.

But one option is to think of this as duplicate detection, which would mean you could just revisit the original URL (whether that was with a single click, a proxy login, or a new search) and click the address bar icon again, and Zotero would detect that you already had the item and offer to update it. Zotero could display the same conflict resolution window used during syncing to allow you to verify that you want the new version.
  • Well, it sounds like the duplication detection is a good way to resolve this problem. But I still insist that you should provide an option to update the information of either selected or all items according to the URL or the original web page, as it would spend much time to revisit the original URL if there are many items to be updated. As for those that weren't a URL or resolvable identifier or if proxy login was necessary, just ignore them and popup a warning window or something else to notify the users.
    BTW, pubmed is testing a new interface, http://preview.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed, but Zotero can not recognize the results from this new site.
  • I think duplication detection is great. But I don't think it is very easy to realize since it is difficult to distinguish automatically whether two items is same for a paper can be found in many websites, including pubmed, web of sci, and so on.

In fact, what I need is simple. I can find the new website manually, and then update the information by the new web page. Noted that I need update the item based on the old item, not add a new one and remove the old one. This is very important since after record the old item, I had written some notes and classified the item into some collections, I don't want do them again.
  • Noted that I need update the item based on the old item, not add a new one and remove the old one.
    I think that's understood, but what are you proposing, exactly?
  • I often find myself in the same position as ghzou-- I quickly jot down the basic bibliographic info on a source, then at a later date use that to look it up in a catalog, often even using Zotero's "locate" function. At that later date, I want to flesh out my record in Zotero, and I usually end up doing it manually.

It would be much nicer to do something like "import into selected item" or "translate current page into selected item", so that I don't lose the collection memberships, relationships, notes, and tags that I've already assigned.
  • yap, we have the same problem.