Consistently wrong import

I have a BIB file that weighs 250 ko and that contains 176 references.

After I imported it, I name the imported folder 39255, and I see only 71 references in the imported folder.

I remove the collection and reimport the BIB file. This time the newly imported folder is DIRECTLY named 39255 (and not "imported on blahblah...") and it still contains only 71 references.

I iterate the procedure and sometimes I get even less references, with always the same BIB file. Looks like the collection was not really removed and not correctly imported.
  • There's a reference somewhere in the file that's causing problems on import. Try one half of the file, then the other-- then split the half causing the issue and repeat until you figure out which reference is causing the problem. Post it here and we'll figure this out.

You also will want to delete the previously imported references, not just remove the collection-- they will still be in My Library unless you right-click and delete them or drag them to the trash.
  • Thanks for your quick answer. I'll try something and report back.

Though I'd like to say I never had import problems with my BIB files, and I've imported hundreds daily for a year or so.
    It's true I got that import message error, but as I could reimport the file afterwards anyway, I thought it would be fine. Reporting the error from the action menu didn't work, it took ages.
  • It's true I got that import message error
    What import message error?
  • Hi,
    Now I've done and redone a clean install of 2.1b2 (removed whole zotero folder before) and everytime I try to import the first BIB after Zotero start, I get the message:
    http://tinypic.com/r/mrwhkw/7
    When I try to reimport directly afterwards, it imports fine.
  • Have you disabled other extensions? Do you get this error in the non-beta version? Have you tried reporting the error in the "clean install"?
  • edited November 16, 2010
    After disabling all estensions, I managed to get the error message again but I wasn't logging.

I tried different cases and behavoirs but haven't managed to reproduce the error yet.
  • Can you submit debug output (http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output) for an attempt to import?
    I'll try to log the error, but as I told you, it's occasional and I haven't figured out how to reproduce it yet.
  • Wait -- this is about RDF or BibTeX?
    Sorry, my bad... I got mixed up with the error reports that I posted, as I currently have BIB and RDF import problems.

The import failure that I manage to do repeatably is about RDFs, I'll post back here when I can log the BIB import failure problem.

I edtited the previous comments and posted them in the other thread
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15160/rdf-import-fails-in-21b2-but-works-in-stable-209
    Sorry.
  • Error solved. There were some bad characters ( {{}} )in the BIB file text fields.