Can't get a corporate author to format correctly

Hi,

I'm trying to cite an advertisement by the Hudson Motor Car Company in 1939 that appeared in a magazine.

Per the documentation that I could find, I made the author entry field "full name" (rather than "last, first"), and put
Hudson Motor Car Company
in that field.

I'm using APA style and exporting to BibTeX.
But now, in my document, I'm getting the inline citation as (Company, 1939)

and the bibliography entry as
Company, H. M. C. (1939, November). The ride of your life waits for you in any 1940
hudson. Popular Mechanics , 72 (5), 5A.

How can I get it to treat the author as a corporate name that doesn't get split up?

Any tips on how to force it to capitalize Hudson in the article title would be good, too.

Thanks!
E.
  • So you're exporting to BibTeX and this is happening in your LaTeX document? Is so, these aren't really Zotero questions...
  • maybe BibTex export, though? But Zotero itself does this correctly in APA, yes.
  • Yes, this is happening in my LaTeX document.
    I went back to an old (pre-Zotero) version of my BibTeX file, and this is the format that comes out correctly in LaTeX:

@article{Hudson1939,
    author = {{\bibcorporate{Hudson Motor Car Company}}},
    journal = {Popular Mechanics},
    title = {The Ride of Your Life Waits for You},
    number = {5},
    pages = {5A},
    volume = {72},
    year = {1939},
    date-added = {2010-10-16 01:27:15 -0400},
    date-modified = {2010-10-21 15:02:11 -0400},
    uri = {papers://38198467-8124-4565-A531-32C96C398156/Paper/p220},
    read = {Yes},
    rating = {0}
    }

So how can I get Zotero to output
    author = {{\bibcorporate{Hudson Motor Car Company}}}
    I tried putting all of that in the Author field, but it didn't work.

Or are you saying I'm doing things the hard way? I'm new to Zotero. Is there a simpler way to get Zotero to put my references into my LaTeX document?

Thanks!!
  • I think we may be better off waiting for one of the Zotero/BibTeX gurus to chip in, but it is possible that we could change the export translator to wrap single-field names in \bibcorporate.

If you happen to use LyX, take a look at LyZ, which is supposed to be quite convenient.
  • but it is possible that we could change the export translator to wrap single-field names in \bibcorporate.
    I don't think we want to do that: the single field is not limited to corporate entities and bibcorporate is, more or less, peculiar to the apa bibtex style templates.
  • indeed it doesn't look like Zotero distinguishes at all between one field and two field in its bibtex export.
  • Is there a way to suppress the parsing of a name as Given Name + Surname in BibTeX? Indeed, in every case where a name is in the single field mode, it shouldn't be subject to initialization -- can this be made clear to BibTeX?
  • edited November 9, 2010
    the single field is not limited to corporate entities
    I trust you're right on \bibcorporate, but what apart from corporate entities (broadly speaking) is the single field used for?
  • Single-word and other funny personal names. Royalty, for example.
  • One might make the case for enclosing the author in an extra set of brackets if entered as a single-field. BibTeX will not reformat the enclosed string. When the citation processor receives authors entered in a single field, it does not initialize them (so that aspect of behavior would be the same for citeproc/bibtex). When enclosed in brackets, BibTeX will not change the case of the author names. I don't know, offhand, if this is the behavior of citeproc or not. If it is, I don't see any reason not to make this change (because it would be consistent). If citeproc still changes the capitalization of single field entries, we might have a bit more to debate.
  • Except in the case of those several styles that require family names in all-caps, I believe citeproc-js doesn't change the case of names at all. Does BibTeX? I think that extra brackets around single-field names would be a reasonable solution.

If extra brackets preserve case and prevent initializing, what does \bibcorporate do?
  • edited November 9, 2010
    Except in the case of those several styles that require family names in all-caps, I believe citeproc-js doesn't change the case of names at all.
    text-case can be applied to names, right?
    Does BibTeX?
    It can. But only assuming that the field is not given in brackets.
    If extra brackets preserve case and prevent initializing, what does \bibcorporate do?
    Again: \bibcorporate is only used by the apa styles. This enables you to disable the display of corporate authors completely (or, through override, change how they are styled). See http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/contrib/apacite/apacite.pdf
  • I was less than clear, I suppose. I realize that it is possible to modify the case of names in CSL. That said, name case is generally preserved.

I think wrapping the name field should be a workable solution.