Chicago Style Note -- page number missing in word note

Hi,
I followed this (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/71/pubmed-not-getting-page-numbers/) but am not sure it's related.

I inserted a reference in Word: little window popped up, I selected my book, specified page "1". The book ref note says "Murdoch, _Metaphysics_." but it did not show the page number. What I noticed is
a) when I tried to edit the ref (let's call this "ref A" -- not manually, using the zotero edit ref), the data is definitely there: it has the popup page field populated with "1" and
b) when I accidentally inserted a ref (ref B) of the same volume right before "ref A", ref A changed appropriately to "Ibid" and the page number popped up! (But no page was showing for ref B though I populated it with page number 200)
  • Oops, I forgot to add: this was Chicago Note w/Bib. But I changed to Chicago Note w/out Bib, and have the same problem. I'm guessing that the first reference to a work looks at the "Pages" in the Reference Information, rather than the page I'm specifying in the Add Note thingy, but I think that if I specify a specific page, it should prioritize? But in any case, the ref I'm talking about here is a Book. Thanks.
  • Pretty sure it is unrelated. I can confirm this and elaborate.

Chicago (Author-Date) works properly. This adds the user specified page number.

Chicago (Note with Reference List) Is now including the total number of pages in a book, this should be adding the user added pages just like (Author Date)

Chicago (Note without Reference list) Does not include any page numbers and again I believe it should include the user specified pages.

Ticket created https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/810
  • Is there any hope that this will be resolved in the next 2-3 days?

I just got a call from a Spanish-speaking friend who told me he accidentally updated FireFox (clicked OK before thinking). He was going to wait to update until after his two major papers were turned in next week, just in case there were problems.

Well, he now has this problem. Is there a work around? Is the fix imminent?

Thanks!
  • There is a new test version of two Chicago styles here https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/632

These use the new format for citation markup, and mostly adhere to this
    http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
    format

If anyone can try them out that would be useful.
  • Thanks Codec!

I've never added anything manually. Is it easy to do? There's probably a link that explains how to do it. I just can't seem to find it.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
  • Its not very easy to do currently. If you are running on windows, I have a sort of crummy .bat file that has a go at adding it automatically which I can send you.
    If you give me an email address and tell me what formats you are interested in testing I can put together something you can try.
  • I'm interested in the Chicago Style: with reference list.

Please send the .bat file (and any pertinent instructions) to u692016_zotero
    "at" dslr.net

Thanks!
  • Got it!

Thanks Codec....but...

It seemed to install fine...at least no errors reported, but no new Chicago style shows up in the drop down box. And and Chicago with and without references still cite incorrectly in Word.

Thanks anyway. I guess we'll just have to wait till the bugs are worked out.
  • The new styles should appear alongside the old ones, so I guess they didn't install correctly.
    You could try running the installref.bat from a DOS prompt, and then send me the output and I'll see if I can see what happened.
  • On its way. It couldn't find the profiles directory.
  • Codec,

I'd also like to try your Chicago CSL's; can you post the .bat to Zotero-Dev for others to try? If not, can you e-mail the .bat to g19275348 yahoo.com Thanks.
  • Remember, you can test a style by pasting its XML content into chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul with some references selected in Zotero. See my instructions if that's not clear.

We'll be rolling these out very soon, so after testing in csledit.xul, you may want to just wait for that. Inserting the styles into your database currently requires the SQLite command line client (available via MacPorts on OS X) and knowing the path—including, possibly, a randomly generated string—to your Firefox profile, neither of which the batch file will help with. The actual insertion command is just a single line that you probably shouldn't be running if you don't understand it, since you're modifying your Zotero database file directly. If you are doing this, be sure to close Firefox first or you risk corrupting your database.

We'll provide a better method for testing styles soon.
  • Thanks Dan!

I'm going to wait.