Error while intalling Zotero

Here is the error report number.

Thanks
  • edited November 8, 2010
    attempt to write a readonly database
    Check your disk and your file permissions.
  • I just checked the zotero.sqlite and all other folder-file present in the Zotero folder, none of it are read only , all of it are "you can read andd write" ... teh comp is a iMAc 9.1 with OS 10.5.8 , firefox 3.6.12 and the latest version of zotero
  • It is not working anyway, i restarted a couple of time firefoz and it gives me the same error.

B.
  • edited August 28, 2013
    Did you copy the directory from somewhere? Did you check the permissions on the folder itself?

Is this a normal hard drive or an external drive? Are you accessing the same folder from somewhere else (network share, Parallels, etc.)? Is there a zotero.sqlite-journal file in the directory when Firefox is closed? (If so, delete it.) [Edit for posterity: Don't do this. It could result in database corruption, and if it helped it'd be due to some other root cause that needed to be fixed.]

Otherwise, we can't really help you with this—if Zotero can't write to the database it simply can't work.
  • Also, this isn't an installation. From the error report it appears to be an upgrade. If you don't need the old database, just delete the Zotero folder.
  • It's on a network share, there is a z...journal file i deleted it, it still doesn't work ...

When in ran into the problem, i simply unistalled zotero and then reintalled it ... (if that help). but it didn't fix the problem.

In the event i can't do anything about it, how can i recover my database and reintall the all thing ?
  • It's the network share that's the problem, either because of a problem with the share itself or because something else on the share is already accessing the database (which is a surefire way to corrupt your database).

You can always copy the data directory to a local disk and point Zotero at it from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • Ok thanks

I copied the zotero folder on my com puter. but how do i acess the zoteropreference when it's saying "There was an error starting Zotero" after cliking on the zotero button on the lower right corner or from the tool menu ?
  • edited November 8, 2010
    Though probably you just want to go to about:config in the Firefox address bar, search for dataDir, control-click, and reset each one that pertains to Zotero. Then restart Firefox and Zotero will be using the default data directory.
  • Ok now it's working thanks for your help.
    I guess to recover my library i should copy Zotero.sqlite into the default zotero folder ?
  • Thank you so much!!!!