Zotero as a collaborative QDA tool

I have been looking for a way to share and store data with a distant collaborator. We have multiple types of qualitative data: field notes, interview files and transcripts, pictures, some video capture, and lots of web pages and other web sites. I blogged some of this here: http://netsweweave.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/qualitative-data-analysis-what-i-want/

I am wondering if there are others in a similar situation?

Zotero is great for the web-based material. For the material we have collected (first-hand) it is less effective and hence my question bleeds into this discussion: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4930/using-zotero-as-a-research-diary/#Item_8

For the first hand material, I was leaning towards simply using google docs or google sites and leaving it private to the two of us. Then we can use Zotero to tag and annotate those materials so that all of the material is eventually in one library.

We also want to be able to collaboratively analyze the data through assigning codes or annotations to portions or fragments of a given file. The discussions I have seen here around syncing annotations (or the lack of) are what I had in mind. So, without that function, my annotations would not sync to the group library.

Does that sound correct?

Diigo has a "sticky note" function that annotates the way I would like to use.

Finally, once we have collected all of the material, and used ZOtero to tag and annotate it, would we be able to export the whole library for further analysis? There are third party analysis packages, like nvivo, which claim they can do qualitative analysis on sets of files. Would the Zotero exported library be able to be loaded into something like that?
  • as for annotations - any annotation that's written to a file - e.g. pdf annotation, Word/Ooo comments etc. - are synced. The Html annotations of Zotero snapshots are saved separately and thus don't sync.

As for database transfer - I'd be skeptical - Zotero's export is focused on bibliographical export (RIS, BibTex, it's own RDF) - but the main question is what type of files your analysis software can import, so I'd start checking there.
  • What are ooo comments?

I think what I need is a stand-alone annotator for general web pages (not pdfs). I'll poke around.

But does the export include the snapshots?
  • Comments made in OpenOffice.org, a word processor alternative to Microsoft Word.
  • edited November 9, 2010
    RDF export includes snapshots, yes. The other export options don't.
    Both Word and Ooo can read and annotate simple html I believe.
  • Random thought, but I wonder if Google Docs could be useful?
  • I am using google sites to make some of the data files, yes. I was looking at zotero as a way to tie together home-grown files with material already out there on the web. The tags and annotations would enable both collaborators to see and code data.