Will zotero be around for the long haul

So, I have been poking around, getting used to this tool. There is a lot to like, of course. But, is it worth investing my time in it? I notice it is sponsored by a center at GMU and with some foundation support. Is that support indefinite? Or, is Zotero already self-sustaining in terms of costs and revenue?
  • edited November 5, 2010
    Zotero is over four years old. No academic funding is "indefinite" or guaranteed, but Zotero has been reasonably successful in getting both funding renewed & obtaining new grants from multiple agencies. Zotero is free/open source with a large community. At minimum, the data you put into it should always be available to you & there will likely be a migration path to any "next big thing".
  • edited November 5, 2010
    The foundation (the Corporation for Digital Scholarship, that is) is fairly new (it's really just now getting off the ground; had our first board meeting just an hour ago, in fact)), but the idea behind it is to provide a legal entity that further contributes to long-term sustainability. To put it simply, I would underline everything noksagt wrote: there's really not much risk.