v2.1 Beta 1 support multiple users/multiple access points to library on network?

Quick question:

Does v2.1 Beta 1 support multiple users/multiple access points to a Zotero library folder on a network?

I read that there were plans to...

Martin.
  • I'm pretty sure you must have misread that. It doesn't and I don't think there are any plans. If you find whatever you read I'd be curious.
  • "Warning!!! Zotero is still intended for use by a single user/single access point at a time. We will not support multiple users/multiple access points until server-based Zotero (2.0)."

http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_over_a_network

under "Things to note" towards the end of the page.

Martin.
    (changed username)
  • Just to make clear:

Can multiple users sync their libraries through the zotero online sync using the same login and password?

Or do groups need to be used and every user needs to create an account on the Zotero website?

Thanks,
    Martin.
  • if all users want to have the same library then yes.
    The typical use case for syncing is that one user would work on several computers (e.g. office, home, laptop). But obviously several users sharing a library could do the same thing.
    Maybe instead of asking very general questions, you could just describe what you want to do/achieve and we can tell you whether that's currently possible with Zotero or not.

(btw. sync is already possible with the 2.0 version and has been for a while)
  • Just want to have multiple users on multiple computers have the same library and use and update it simultaneously.

Best option would be to have the library located on the lab server, with all users connected to it. But I tried that and only one user could connect Zotero to the library on the server at a time.

So I guess the next option is to use the online syncing, with all users entering a common login and pw to sync zotero. I just wouldn't want everyone in the lab to have to create a Zotero registration on the zotero website once zotero is installed on each computer.

Hope this makes it clearer.
  • yes, that will work with sync.