Firefox could not load the component in Fedora Linux

I have spent the past two hours trying to get Zotero working again. It was working fine on Fedora 11 x86_64 with Firefox 3.5.9 and OOo 3.1.1 (from OOo, not from Fedora repos). But then I upgraded OOo to 3.2.1 and now I can't get it working again.

I have searched the forums and tried a lot of suggestions, but so far no joy. Javatester.org says Firefox is using Sun Java 6.0(18), and I have set the same Java in OOo Options. And the same Java is set as the default in Fedora. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Firefox plugin (2.09) and the OOo Integration plugin (3.0b2). I have even rebooted the computer.

Any suggestions welcome!
  • Can you provide a report ID after re-triggering the error?
  • I just did so. It is number 1679631367. It may contain duplicates, as I tried several times since restarting Firefox. Or do you want me to paste the contents here?
  • OK, to save y'all some time, I restarted Firefox, then tried to insert a citation in OOo. From the Actions menu > Report Errors, here is what occurred:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error calling method on NPObject! [plugin exception: LiveConnectPermissionNeeded access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission createClassLoader) ].' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 172" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 172}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 172" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 172}]

I hope that helps someone figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. If there is anything else I can do, be sure to holler back!
  • Fedora does have app armor, right? Have you tried disabling that for Firefox?
    I'm not sure, maybe the instructions in the documentation (scroll down a little) will work for Fedora
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error1
    otherwise you'll have to figure this out yourself.
  • I don't think Fedora has apparmor. That is:

rpm -qa | grep armor

revealed no packages with "armor." I also did it for "armour" and a few other possibilities.

However, bear in mind that my only upgrade was from OOo 3.1.1 to 3.2.1. My OS (Fedora 11) has not changed in over a year. Zotero used to work fine. So I doubt the problem is in apparmor.

But I'd be thrilled if someone could show that I am wrong and that the problem is in apparmor.
  • Have you uninstalled the IcedTea plug-in? This is precisely the error message that I see on machines with IcedTea installed.
  • I disabled it in Firefox Add-ons, and then Firefox had no Java at all. I tried to figure out how to replace it in Firefox Add-ons with something else, but it seems to be the only one in Mozilla's list of available Add-ons.
  • edited November 3, 2010
    Try these instructions to install the Sun Java runtime environment and plug-in.
  • I had already used those instructions. I installed the latest JRE from Sun (1.6.0_22). When I go into Options > Java in OOo it tells me that I can select from 1.6.0_18, _20, _22 and Free Software Foundation 1.5.0. Therefore, I know I must have successfully installed it.

Then I ran the command:

sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/default/bin/java 20000

And it appeared to execute without error. And finally, I ran the command:

[jjj@Devil8 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so / libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 /usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20000
    [sudo] password for jjj:
    alternatives version 1.3.42 - Copyright (C) 2001 Red Hat, Inc.
    This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License.

usage: alternatives --install <link> <name> <path> <priority>
    [--initscript <service>]
    [--slave <link> <name> <path>]*
    alternatives --remove <name> <path>
    alternatives --auto <name>
    alternatives --config <name>
    alternatives --display <name>
    alternatives --set <name> <path>

common options: --verbose --test --help --usage --version
    --altdir <directory> --admindir <directory>

From the above it appears that the command failed, although there is not a specific error message.

I wonder what the "20000" at the end of the commands does. Also, should I not remove Iced Tea first? Yumex does not list anything with "ice" in it, so if I need to uninstall it I need to figure out the package name.
  • edited November 3, 2010
    That should be a backslash, and not a forward slash, in the second command, which indicates that it continues to another line. You can also type

sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 /usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20000

on a single line, with no slash, and it should work. Without this, you don't install the Sun Java plug-in for Firefox, which explains why OOo integration isn't working.

I think the package you need to remove to uninstall the IcedTea plug-in is called something like "java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin." This may or may not end up being necessary.
  • That did it! All I needed to do was remove the forward slash. The command executed properly then. And after restarting Firefox and looking in Add-ons the Iced Tea plugin is gone and Sun Java 1.6.0_22 is in its place.

Best news of all is that Zotero is now working in Writer 3.2.1!

A thousand thanks for the help.