term name="author" in CSL 1.0

I've been tweaking the nn-NO and nb-NO locales for CSL 1.0 and found that none of the localizations have translated/specified anything for <term name="author">.

Why is that?
  • Because it's never been needed. Author is effectively understood in all styles I've ever heard of to be the default, implicit role, and only other roles get explicitly annotated.
  • Ah, of course, thanks. But then at least it doesn't hurt to translate it either :)
  • edited October 31, 2010
    But then at least it doesn't hurt to translate it either
    It can hurt. Adding a translation for the "author" term for e.g. English could result in "Doe (author)" and "Smith (editor)" instead of "Doe" and "Smith (editor)". The former is almost never desirable.
  • @Rintze:
    That sounds like a problem in the way that CSL is interpreted-- why should the rendering or non-rendering of creator roles depend on whether the appropriate terms are defined in the localization files?
  • Without having checked the xbiblio mailing list archives, my guess is that the current implementation was based on the assumption that the use of an author label might be subject to localization (although that doesn't appear to be the case for styles written so far).
  • Well, CSL has some magic for dealing with roles, and part of that magic is based on the assumption I mention above. Otherwise, the styles would be a fair bit more complex.