Word/Firefox communication error in Ubuntu/Wine

Hello,

I'm thinking of switching over to Ubuntu from XP and am currently giving it a try on my laptop. Before I commit, however, I need to make sure that I'll be able to use Zotero with MS Word.

Right now I'm running both Word and Firefox via Wine. Everything seems to be working on the Firefox end (I'm able to collect citations, etc.) and I've installed the Word plugin successfully (the Zotero buttons are present under the "Add-Ins" tab in Word). But when I click the button to insert a citation, I get the following message:

"Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is running and try again."

Firefox is running. I've tried deleting Zotero.dot and reinstalling the plugin, but without success. I've been browsing the other communication error threads on the forum, but haven't found (or at least haven't recognized) a solution yet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

(Before anyone suggests it, I should point out that I'd rather not use OpenOffice. It's lacking certain functions that I need and I often find myself collaborating on files with other Word users.)

Thanks!
  • I don't think anyone ever had this working on Wine - you could try see if Java is working and report some of the other troubleshooting steps and their outcomes but I fear no one here has the time to get this set-up - which is essentially a work-around - to work - I'd suggest using a double-boot or try working with Ooo after all (the editing features work pretty well with MS word, I've co-authored two papers with Word users).

I'm not trying to tell you what to do here, just warning you that I wouldn't expect a solution.